Hibernation

BigDaddy

I am using DiAL UP ADSL for internet meaning I have to click on the icon for the computer to get connected to the net.

On normal reboots I have put the shortcut in the STARTUP and set it so it doesnt ask me any questions and thus when the computer boots up it automaticly connects to the internet.

But latelly I have started to use HIBERNATION mainly because of the faster startup. But with the hibernation I do not know where should I put the INTERNET shortcut so it would also automaticly connect back to the internet once it boots up from the hibernation.

Sounds like you need an Internet Gateway / Router that works with your DSL provider. Let it deal with the PPPoE and connection stuff.

If you can't find anyone else that can recommend a good router for your Internet provider you may have to give them a buzz directly.

If you really, really can't get an internet Gateway /Router thingie to work with your service you might consider using an old junk PC with your modem and a copy of WinGate. WinGate: http://www.wingate.com/products.php That way you just leave your junk PC on as the Internet Gateway and enjoy hibernation on your real PC. This is not the best solution as all software proxies /Internet Gateways can have security holes.

but that is not an option. I just want this computer to do one simple task when it boots from hibernation and that is dial ADSL

Alas, it might not be as easy as it seems. Your hibernating PC thinks that it was never turned off. It has no way to "know" it has just been woken up.

If you can't use a router and software proxy is out of the question, well..

Maybe those old dial-up programs with "keep-alive" as a feature would do the trick? Here is an example of one: http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/1st_Dialer/988912347/1

I've heard nothing good or bad about that particular program, again, just an example.

I remember this issue from years ago...if i remember correctly, there's a power management setting with the ppoe to 'allow device to be powered down' or something, it's a box you need to check or uncheck. It's been many years since ive thought about this, check the properties of the connection or in device manager and see if there's a setting like that.

-gosh