WinPE Remote Access

briank1986

Hello all! This is my first post on this web site.

I have recently been asked at work to find a way to connect remotely to WinPE. We use it in an OSD environment for WinXP.

What I mean by "Remote Access" is - to simply be able to type a UNC path to access the WinPE build or to be able to completely remote control WinPE.

I know WinPE has built in networking for outgoing connections, but is there a way to enable incoming connections? You can ping from the WinPE box but you can't ping the WinPE from an outside system.

Any help or links to where I can find the answer will be greatly appreciated!

Also,

I have checked out a couple of different posts like this one: http://www.911cd.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=8420. I have done this process and can successfully get this to work in an actual Windows XP environment, but not in WinPE.

There seems like there is just one thing missing but I just can't put my finger on it, does anyone have any suggestions as to an extra step I may have missed?

Thanks,

Brian.

One way to do it is to use pcAnywhere.

pcAnywhere has a Thin Client that will load under WinPE.

Of course... this is a 3rd party app and requires purchase.

But if you have it. It works Well.

I can tell you that the thin client is a compacted EXE that extracts files when executed.

So you have to make sure the exe is on a Ram Disk.

The User ID and Password are compiled into the EXE.

Chris

Thanks for your input guys!!!!!!

I had to use this switch - net stop ipnat - instead of wpeutil. I knew there was just one little thing missing....Why couldn't I have thought about the Firewall thing??

I really appreciate your posts! If this won't make the security guys happy, I might try the PC Anywhere thing!

Thanks Again!

Brian.