Guide Download Hang

:hello:

This is really strange. This PC is some 3 years old MCE box and almost never crashed, until the last few days. I always leave it 24/24 7/7 running. But the last 3 days, I always find it unresponsive when I wake up. I have to restart it manually, and when it boots up, it’s like nothing ever happened... no error report, and event log shows nothing. The second time it crashed, it did make a notice in the log:

Event ID: 19

Event Source: recording

Event Type: Error

Event Description: Media Center: The recording schedule has been corrupted and was automatically deleted on xx/xx/xxxx xx:xx:xx PM. You may need to reschedule your recordings.

But I thought this was because of the crash. I also checked the hard drive because I thought it could be a bad cluster causing the hang.

I also found in the logfile an event saying that it wil download the guide next day at 01:21:11h … so I made a performance counter and sent it to the server. Last data I got was at 2007-08-26 01:21:47.546, showing a bit CPU usage from ehSched, ehtray, explorer, svchost, system and 38% for ehRec. After that it’s hung completely. I can’t even ping the machine from the server.

So the question is, has anyone any suggestions about why this could be happening so ‘suddenly’? I searched the internet, and found nothing. The last automatic update was a few days ago, and it seemed to work fine after that, so I don’t think it’s an update bug.

The only solution I see for the future is to shut down the service, but that not an option for a long term.

Edited by Davor

I solved it apparently by deleting the EPG folder in eHome map… The guide seems to be downloaded correctly this time, without crashing the PC.

Still I find it very strange that an application can hang a system in such a way. Anyone has an explanation for this?

Also, I see that in the deleted EPG folder, prior to crash, a .sdf file was created everytime (184320KB). The new .sdf file is about 24MB

Edited by Davor

Now... it happened again, but only after the second auto update. The first auto update, as written in my second post, went with no problems.

Grrr!!! Really annoying

Edited by Davor