Windows Vista: Downloads Hang at 99%

Jeffrey Bolle

Hello,

This problem start shortly after I installed Windows Vista X86 Ultimate Edition on my computer a few months ago.

What happens is when I download a file on any browser or with any download manager 50% of the time the download will get to 99% and then stop.

The only way to get the file to finish is to use a download manager that allows pause and resume, once I've paused and resumed the download it will finish.

I have observed this problem on both my computers, one runs Windows Vista Ultimate the other runs Windows Vista Home Premium both are x86 architecture.

And my flatmate has the same problem on her new laptop.

First I thought that it had to do with my virus scanner, Kaspersky, but the problem remain after disabling it.

In the last few weeks I have tried the follow things:

Disabling Kaspersky.

Disabling the Windows Firewall.

Disabling the Windows Defender service.

Switching between Wireless and Wired Internet.

Changing: Key: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Attachments Value: ScanWithAntiVirus Data: 1

I have this problem on various internet connections I've tried in both the UK and Spain.

I have read the following thread, describing this problem unfortunately with no solution:

http://www.msfn.org/board/lofiversion/index.php/t87977.html

My computer specs are as followed:

Core 2 Duo E6600

4Gig of RAM

RaptorX 150Gig HDD

X1950XTX Radeon Graphics card

Asus P5W DH Deluxe

Does anyone have a solution to this problem?

It is driving me crazy.

Jeffrey Bolle

this is normal with Vista sh*t, the bigger the download file the longer it takes, the stupid operating system takes time to copy the file into your desired download folder, microsh*t promised a fix with vist sp1 due at hte end of this year

Yes this is the case since Vista RC1 for me, just be patient and it will complete.

Yep, that's what I've seen as well. Sometimes it takes longer than others, even from the same server, for a similar sized file, but it will complete.

• 3 months later...

Same problem with RTM.

After trying all possible solution, I figure out that itcould be download folder permision problem.

and it is. My download folder was (don't know wy) write protected.

I change the setting an voila..... all working again

I have vista business ed. have not had a problem with downloads at all at two different colleges on a wireless network. I recommend Symantec Corp Ed for AV and disable windows defender!!!=junk i think don't use download mangers or IE yuck. i have not seen a file hang on business ed. also you may look at your connection does it say server exec failed ?

Don't know whether this is related, but some of our Vista Business machines suffer from poor network performance. Downloads can be incredibly slow given we have a very fast connection here.

I found a blog last week (Don't remember where - sorry) recommending running the following commands, which seems to have worked for our systems.

netsh interface tcp set global autotuning=disabled

netsh interface tcp set global congestionprovider=ctcp

netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled

netsh interface tcp set global ecncapability=enabled

I have now integrated this into our WDS distribution and all seems well. No more slow downloads.