Expanding Wireless Network

Where I work, we have seamless wireless all over both buildings and no matter where you go inside you're always connected to the same wireless network. I would like to set this up in my house.

From what I've seen via Google (and please correct/add to anything I write below) it looks like the setup should be like this:

When using multiple routers (I'll use two in my house) for the same network, make sure the SSID and encryption are the same.

Make sure the channels don't overlap. Router one should use channel 1, and router two should use channel 6.

I currently have a Linksys WRT54G; can I buy another WRT54G and use that as the second router, or do I need different hardware?

Are there any other settings I need to change in order for this to work seamlessly?

Thank you for your time!

It can work, but most home networking gear is a crapshoot (and that is why businesses buy business-class wireless devices from vendors like Cisco).

Take a look at the results and see if you want to try this with two routers, or if you just wish to purchase an extender device if the range you want to roam on isn't large.

You have to read up on your specific brand. I know with my Netgear stuff I can technically set up multiple WAPs and they will all talk together, but I have never tried it. I know one thing they CANNOT do it link two wired networks over wireless. Like I can't have a WAP complementing a wired network, and another WAP complementing another wired network, and have the two wired networks integrate. It's odd that they can't do this (and it cost me $200 to find this out.. grr).

Cluberti is right the business stuff is 10x better, although i setup a network for one guy at home that consisted purely of linksys equipement, 1 router and 2 range extenders and it was very good.

He had a 3 floored old house (thick bricked) and the wireless reached everywhere.

So if anything i would recommend Linksys :)

thanks

P.S the channel must be the same on all devices not different :)