Geforce 8600GT refuses to play properly on TV

Marthax

Hi everyone!

I switched to a 8600GT about 2 months ago and everything has been great ever since except the fact that my old 6600GT was so much better at handling my TV. On my 6600GT, I could just choose "Play On -> TV" and the TV screen would automatically fill up while the primary screen could be used for other things. Really great! What I don't understand is why my 8600GT doesn't want to do this. If I choose "Play on -> TV", it doesn't respond and the only screen doing anything is my primary TFT. I have to use the "Clone" option in order to obtain a good picture on my TV, which sucks as I then have to lower my screen res (my TV cannot handle 1280x1024) and cannot do anything else on the other screen.

Does anyone know what could be causing this? I've tried using "Dual View", but that only makes things worse as the picture on the TV gets scrollable. I've done the guide inside Nvidia Control Panel dozens of times, nothing.

Thanks in advance!

Marthax

you could always try omega drivers. i have a ati card and i don't personally care for the .net interface way they are doing the new drivers. i just select my display modes from desktop>properties>settings...then change my primary to tv (keeping 1280x1024 on my monitor) and 1024x768 on tv and i can work on my monitor while watching a movie on my tv.

Yeah, well the thing is that if I disable "extend my windows desktop onto this monitor" on my TV, I have no way to activate it when I want to watch a movie since the "Play On -> TV" is gone.

I couldn't agree more, the .net interface sucks real hard. I'm gonna give it a go with omega.

EDIT: They didn't help sh*t. The same problem still resides. I guess Omega did a better job with the ATI drivers. Anything else I can try?

Edited by Marthax

Yeah, I'm aware of that but I'd still prefer the "play on -> TV" option as it does everything automatically. Now, I have to start the movie and drag it over to the other screen. When I had the "play on -> TV" option it would do that automatically for me.

Yeah, I'm aware of that but I'd still prefer the "play on -> TV" option as it does everything automatically. Now, I have to start the movie and drag it over to the other screen. When I had the "play on -> TV" option it would do that automatically for me.

does my way work tho. that's what i've been doing forever. just because you have to click 5 times then drag a box over that doesnt mean that you cant use it..

i dont' use my tv hookup for anything but watching movies on and playing some video games on. what i do is, open up internet explore, windows explorer, and any other programs i use alot of and minimize them. windows will remember the windows placement so now i go to properties>settings...and then select primary display on the tv output. all that does is make all the windows open on the tv screen. when i'm done watching tv, just go back and change primary display back to your monitor.

i wish there was a easier way myself but thats the fastest way i've found. (cloning and switching primary displays through the tools/ati .net interface always took forever)

I found that the fastest way atm is to simply use the dual view where I drag the thing I wanna watch on the TV over to the other screen.

does my way work tho. that's what i've been doing forever. just because you have to click 5 times then drag a box over that doesnt mean that you cant use it..
I've never said that you can't use it, but why the hell is Nvidia making things harder than they used to be? Everything was perfect with my 6600GT drivers, why mess things up?