Bart PE urgent help

badmaghz

Hi there,

I am trying to boot the BartPE image over the network using Microsoft Remote Installation Service (RIS) and here i am writing the details of how i have configured.

The folder structure is as following

E:\RemoteInstall\Setup\English\Images\BartPE\i386\templates

Under templates i have the following files

NTDETECT.COM

NTLDR

SETUPLDR.EX_

STARTROM.CO_

STARTROM.COM

Winnt.sif

and the content of sif file is as following:

[SetupData]
BootDevice ="ramdisk(0)"
BootPath ="\i386\System32\"
OsLoadOptions ="\noguiboot /fastdetect /minint /rdexportascd /rdpath=%INSTALLPATH%\%MACHINETYPE%\BartPE.iso"
Architecture ="i386"

[RemoteInstall]
Repartition = No

[OSChooser]
Description=“briefdescription”
Help=“longerdescription”
LaunchFile ="%INSTALLPATH%\%MACHINETYPE%\templates\startrom.com"
ImageType =Flat
Version = "5.2(0)"

the ISO image is under

E:\RemoteInstall\Setup\English\Images\BartPE\i386

When i boot from iso, after loading the image from tft to the ram, the progress bar of Starting BartPE apears, and then the windows XP progress bar starts then the blue screen comes stating the following.....

A PROBLEM HAS BEEN DETECTED AND WINDOWS HAS BEEN SHUT DOWN TO PREVENT DAMAGE TO YOUR COMPUTER. AN INITIALIZATION FAILURE OCCURRED WHILE ATTEMPTING TO BOOT FROM THE RAM DISK. IF THIS IS THE FIRST TIME YOU'VE SEEN THIS STOP ERROR SCREEN, RESTART YOUR COMPUTER. IF THIS SCREEN APPEARS AGAIN, FOLLOW THESE STEPS:

CHECK TO MAKE SURE ANY NEW HARDWARE OR SOFTWARE IS PROPERLY INSTALLED. IF THIS IS A NEW INSTALLATION, ASK YOUR HARDWARE OR SOFTWARE MANUFACTURER FOR ANY WINDOWS UPDATES YOU MIGHT NEED.

IF PROBLEMS CONTINUE, DISABLE OR REMOVE ANY NEWLY INSTALLED HARDWARE OR SOFTWARE, DIABLE BIOS MEMORY OPTIONS SUCH AS CACHING OR SHADOWING. IF YOU NEED TO USE SAFE MODE TO REMOVE OR DISABLE COMPONENTS, RESTART YOUR COMPUTER, PRESS F8 TO SELECT ADVANCED STARTUP OPTIONS, AND THEN SELECT SAFE MODE.

TECHNICAL INFORMATION:

*** STOP: 0X000000F8 (0X00000002, 0XC0000034, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)

I have build the BartPE image from windows2003 SP1 using PE Builder.

Could anyone please help me with this problem.

Regards,

A question for you.....

what is the amount of ram in the computer your trying to boot?

It looks like the RamDisk cant load properly try a Build without the ramdisk to troubleshoot first then step it up.

Don't you need to change the imagetype="Winpe" instead of "Flat" not sure been a long time since I installed TFTPD and then booted Bartspe. I have switched to winpe2005 SDI for customer support issue's

what is the amount of ram in the computer your trying to boot?

It looks like the RamDisk cant load properly try a Build without the ramdisk to troubleshoot first then step it up.

Don't you need to change the imagetype="Winpe" instead of "Flat" not sure been a long time since I installed TFTPD and then booted Bartspe. I have switched to winpe2005 SDI for customer support issue's

Hi p4ntb0y,

Thank you very much for taking your time to reply, i have 512MB ram on my computer, i have tried to boot to the same image on three different types of machines and the result was the same for all.

i have tried changing the image type from flat to winpe and didnt succeed either.

I would really appreciate if you could guide me a bit in detail regarding booting from BartPe image, this is a part of my Degree project, i doesnt matter which way you configure it as long as i am able to run the BartPe image over the network, or if you have any documentation regarding configuring winpe, that would be also nice if you could share a copy of that with me.

my project is due within next two weeks, i really need to make this working.

Regards,

Ok some more questions for you

Are you using a dhcp and tftp server on the same server?

You have all the dhcp settings set up? like option 67 and option 66?

Have you tried to install WDS/Ris then just copy your files to the template folder?

Are you using a dhcp and tftp server on the same server?

You have all the dhcp settings set up? like option 67 and option 66?

Have you tried to install WDS/Ris then just copy your files to the template folder?

Hi p4ntb0y

I am running DHCP, DNS, AD on the same server and it has Windows 2003 Enterprise Edition SP1 installed, i am using the microsoft builtin tftp which comes with WDS/RIS.

DHCP is configured to not listen to port 67 and configure port 60 for PXE clients.

I have created the legacy image using RIS to create the folder structure and configure the right permissions. then removed the image and created custom folder called (PE) and under PE folder i have created i386 and under i386 the templates folder containing these files

my file tree at \\[risserver]\REMINST\Setup\English\Images\PE looked like:

I386\

I386\BARTPE.ISO

I386\templates\Winnt.sif

I386\templates\NTDETECT.COM

I386\templates\ntldr

I386\templates\RAMDISK.SYS

I386\templates\STARTROM.EXE

Downloaded MS Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 (RC). It is a SFX CAB archive.

i have used WinRAR to open it. Extract the SETUPLDR.EX_ and RAMDISK.SY_. STARTROM.CO_

Expand SETUPLDR.EX_ and ramdisk.sy_ to get SETUPLDR.EXE RAMDISK.SYS and STARTROM.COM

made a folder called templates and copied the setupldr.exe to the folder tftproot and rename it to NTLDR (no extension)

copied STARTROM.COM to templates as well as NTDETECT.COM from the win2k3 sp1 folder to the templates folder.

the contents of my Winnt file is:

[setupData]

BootDevice = "ramdisk(0)"

BootPath = "\i386\System32\"

OsLoadOptions = "/noguiboot /fastdetect /minint /rdexportascd /rdpath=%INSTALLPATH%\%MACHINETYPE%\bartpe.iso"

Architecture = "i386"

[RemoteInstall]

Repartition = No

[OSChooser]

Description = "BartPE ISO"

Help = "This will load a BartPE ISO into RAM."

LaunchFile = "%INSTALLPATH%\%MACHINETYPE%\templates\STARTROM.COM"

ImageType = Flat

Version = "5.2 (0)"

The image loads to the ramdisk from the server fine and even shows the progress bar saying BartPE Starting, after that the Blue screen comes up and crashes the operating system. I have burned the same image to CD and booted from CDROM and it works fine, also tried that with MS Virtual Machine and no problems at all.

Regards,

Well everything looks ok.

You said that it works ok with vmware ok?

Maybe its a Hal Problem or Mass Storage Device Driver.

What machine are you deploying too? can you run devcon on the "Tin"?

if you need guidane on how to do this then let us know I will keep an eye on this thread fro you

Hi there,

Thanks to everyone who has replied, to my topic, i finally got it working, all the steps which i was taking seemed to be right, but there is a small issue which was causing this all trouble.

The reason why my PE was crashing as the image size was abit big (178MB) but the ramdisk size was lower then that, when i added the [Auto Ramdisk Resizer] plugin to PE Builder i got it working, there were also some errors which were giving me NTDETECT.COM , NTOSKRNL and few other were missing or could not be loaded, i have expanded them from the SP1 windows 2003 CD and everything is perfectly working.

Thanks to you guys once again for helping me, however many many thanks to R.Collewijn website, i have followed his tutorial and got it working.

A TFTPD32 server as RIS Server.

Regards,