error 1325 (recreating user folders in vista)

Thauzar

Hi, I just reinstalled windows vista 64bit, and the 1st thing I moved my documents and favorites and all those folders there in E:\user\. I also changed the drive's letter to D: since I wanted my 2 main drives to have following letters.

But now I can't install Opera because it says some error 1325 Documents is not a valid short file name.

it also seems to do this in office installation, about the favorite folder. Is there a way to recreate those folders in the c:\user\ emplacement so I can at least install programs?

What the hell is that, it's the 1st time it happens and I've redirected all my documents folders from all my previous xp or vista installs without any problems. How can I fix this?

Thanks

Edited by Thauzar

While sleeping I thought of a way that maybe could solve my problem without having to reformat or reinstall. I don't have time to try it this morning but tell me what you think.

Simply: creating a new user profile, putting it administrator like my current profile. Then switch to the new one which should have all the correct documents and favorites folders in c:. Then moving them to D: and that should be it. I could then delete my old user profile.

Could it be that simple? could it work?

HK_Current_user\software\microsoft\windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\user shell folders

and

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-<random number>\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

check here to make sure that all the point are going to the location you moved your docs too

Changed de drive letter in HK user and I don't know if it was already like that but they were fixed when I got to the HK current user ones. About to reboot, hope it worked

And... it... WORKED!!

:thumbup

many many thanks to you for this simple solution. I would have never known which key to fix. You are my hero of the day :)

Edited by Thauzar