Bold Fortune

dirtwarrior

Bold was a strange guy. He really didn't like you if you didn't agree with his methods.

Why do you want to find his site again? He had slightly unorthodox methods about "cleaning" his system, and I think nuhi put him out of business, so to speak. :lol:

Bold was a strange guy.

I disagree.

He really didn't like you if you didn't agree with his methods.

1) You say that as if everyone else loves it if you continually argue with them

2) I suspect the point probably was that after you've spent a number of years writing a several hundred thousand page guide, offering detailed information about thousands of files, it's a bit annoying when some jumped up code kiddy just says "use nLite". Especially when he wasn't even suggesting the two as alternatives.

3) By "his methods" do you mean "deleting files?" - I suspect that's quite a standard "method" of removing files.

4) Or maybe by "his methods" you mean the way he went through the problem slowly and methodically trying to work out exactly what was wrong and come up with a solution that fixed exactly that problem rather than just "reinstalling windows", "reinstalling drivers" etc.

Why do you want to find his site again?

This is a stupid question.

He had slightly unorthodox methods about "cleaning" his system

1) I don't necessarily regard "unorthodox" as a bad thing. You could say that nLite is pretty "unorthodox".

2) I also don't see why that would be a reason to dislike someone.

3) If they work, the actual orrthodoxy of methods, particularly when it comes to computers, is irrelevent.

I think nuhi put him out of business, so to speak

1) That implies he is somehow doing it to make money. This was not the case. Nor was he offering a "method" or a "guide" that could be followed, he was analysing files, finding out what they did and which ones could be safely removed, or had to be kept to run programems

2) I disagree that an almost one click pre-install, file removal programme has "put... out of business" a huge guide which, as I've said, provided significant details on hundreds of files.

Even if you didn't want to remove files, Bold's guide provided detailed information about the entire windows operating system. It was amazingly useful for diagnosing problems and for running Windows cleanly and simply. I've learnt more tips and tricks from that forum that anywhere else.

Oh, also, in regards to your above comments about Bold_Fortune:

7.b This community is built upon mutual respect... People who do not respect personal opinions and/or personal work will be warned in first instance.

Wow... I seem to have stepped on somebody's toes here. I really didn't mean to go there, but in my experience on his forum and on this one, he had a very specific attitude towards things. From what I remember, if you stepped "across the line" so to speak, he wasn't the friendliest of people.

I think you've completely misinterpreted my point of view. You have every right to disagree - everyone has their opinions. There's a difference between discussing/disagreeing and arguing. I actually love a good discussion or debate, as long as both sides aren't hot headed and things don't degenerate to "I'm right - you're wrong". At that point, it's a silly argument.

By "his methods", I meant deleting files in general. I tried following his guide and I made some progress for deleting this part of Windows, and then removing that one, etc etc. I also used nLite for a while, but I stopped for two reasons. First, everytime I removed something, it broke Windows in one way or another. A program I needed wouldn't install or run, or some functionality that I needed wasn't there. Secondly - I simply didn't have the time. If you've really got all the time to tinker with your system for hours on end - go for it, but I really fail to see the benefit for all of us of having a list of what every single file does. It's a lot of work - don't get me wrong, and I commend anyone who can put in that amount of time on a single project, but in the end... what's the point? What do you gain from knowing that this DLL has that functionality - will that make you work faster, get you a better paycheck, make you a nicer person?

I ask a question because I don't have the answer. If you want to go on talking about "mutual respect", don't call people's questions stupid unless the answer is blatantly obvious or has been given multiple times before. Don't call my questions stupid.

Bold's original guide was not on "what files do what". It was for "how to slim down Windows XP". As such, nLite does a much simpler job of it. Sure - the user doesn't need to know as much about their system, but it goes back to my above comment - most people don't want to bother. They simply want a computer where you go *click* and it works. I can't imagine any large corporate environment where they'd be insane enough to use nLite or Bold's slimming-down-guide on production computers. You'd spend more time troubleshooting problems than anything else.

Again - about his detailed guide - it's definitely impressive. However, I've never needed to consult it for troubleshooting my systems, since I haven't removed any core files anyways. In my experience, things just work better that way.

I also think you need to realize that calling someone "strange" isn't being disrespectful. There are plenty of strange people in this world - I'm one of them, and so are many of my friends. Strange is what makes the world interesting.

Hey Zxian,

Sorry for jumping down your throat there. I just get a bit fed up with people either complaining about Bold_Fortune or nLite or whatever. I mean, especially with something like this, it's a choice whether you use it or not, and if you don't want to fiddle with your system, then don't follow a guide all about fiddling with your system.

By "his methods", I meant deleting files in general. I tried following his guide and I made some progress for deleting this part of Windows, and then removing that one, etc etc. I also used nLite for a while, but I stopped for two reasons. First, everytime I removed something, it broke Windows in one way or another. A program I needed wouldn't install or run, or some functionality that I needed wasn't there. Secondly - I simply didn't have the time. If you've really got all the time to tinker with your system for hours on end - go for it

This, I think is the point - it does take a long time, and you will have to tinker with your system for hours. But, really, that's what his website was about. Tinkering with your system and discovering new things. To be honest, though, isn't that what this site is about as well? I can't help but notice there are forums here about "customizing" and "tweaking" Windows. I mean, as a general rule, the only reason you write on a messageboard dedicated to altering software in your computer is because you like tinkering around with your system.

I, personally, use a combination of nLite and Bold's guide. Like you, I've had my fair share of things breaking, but, really, if you don't like things not working you shouldn't use computers. Using this guide I have learnt more about computers (and my computer in particular) than through anything else.

On the other hand, if you're not someone who wants to use nLite, who doesn't want to remove anything from their OS, then removing files Bold suggests isn't going to interest you.

I really fail to see the benefit for all of us of having a list of what every single file does.

You'd be amazed at how often people on Bold's forum were able to very precisely and accurately pinpoint problems users had. By knowing what files do, you can pinpoint the source of a problem and solve it directly, which is usually a much neater solution. I mean, I do think it is a good practice (in life as well as just with computers) to understand what things do. I can't think of a situation when more knowledge and a greater understanding is a bad thing.

As you say, it is a lot of work - and I would never have gone through and examined what every file in Windows XP does. But, now Bold has done it, he has provided a resource which is fascinating and incredibly useful, often when you don't suspect it. It's a fantastic resource for troubleshooting, and there's nothing else which provides such focused information on the Internet.

What do you gain from knowing that this DLL has that functionality

It may well help with conflicts and dependencies.

will that make you work faster

Um - I don't know if that's the point. I'm not sure if anything I do to my computer will make me work faster (or even if I want to work faster). I do know that since fiddling with my computer and following many of Bold's insights and tips my COMPUTER works faster.

get you a better paycheck, make you a nicer person?

I doubt it. Will changing your desktop background do either of those things either? Not everything in this world increases your wealth or moral worth (sadly).

don't call people's questions stupid unless the answer is blatantly obvious or has been given multiple times before. Don't call my questions stupid.

I'm sorry about that, but your question was:

Why do you want to find his site again?

Bearing in mind that Bold's site is a forum discussing computers (very much like this one), and both dirtwarrior and I are semi-regular posters on the forum the reason we wanted to "find" his site seems quite obvious to me. Your question seemed more a rhetorical point. Are you saying you actually wanted to know why we wanted to post on his forum again? The answer, presumably, is the same reason that you (and the hundreds of other members here) like to post on this forum - because they like to, and are interested in what it is about. They don't need to give a financial or moral justifcation for doing so.

They simply want a computer where you go *click* and it works.

Well, it's probably best not to use i) nLite ii) Windows iii) a computer then.

I can't imagine any large corporate environment where they'd be insane enough to use nLite or Bold's slimming-down-guide on production computers.

No, I can't either. Partly because they would both invalidate any licence from Microsoft. But also, a corporation doesn't care about the thousands of computers they have in the same way an individual may care about his one computer.

However, I've never needed to consult it for troubleshooting my systems, since I haven't removed any core files anyways.

That's not the only reason you may need it. In addition, files can often become deleted by accident, other programmes can delete them, they can become corrupted etc. There are also sorts of reasons why it could be useful to see an organised and methodical analysis of your computer's system files. Anyway, I'm not going to try to persuade you to read it. If you're interested in it, you'll read it and like it, if you're not you won't.

My point, really, is I think it's a fantastic resource, and clearly a lot of work has been put into it. It encourages you to think about your system, fiddle with it and tweak it. If you don't like doing that, then just don't bother with it. There's no need for people to keep moaning about it.

I'll be honest, I don't really understand what the problem is between Bold and this site, but he seems to refuse to post here now (as do some other people on his site). I don't follow this feud as I'm a bit of a new-comer. However, I find both this site and his site fascinating and fantastic sources of information. I find it a bit dissapointing/annoying that some of the members of this forum and his forum seem to be at war with each other, because I think they both have a lot to give/discuss with each other.

But, anyway, I'm not brokering a peace treaty or anything, and I'm sure you're not part of the "Bold-hating" community - you're last post just seemed a bit aggresive and off-topic - considering the thread was about why his forum had gone down and whether it would be coming back, it seemed a bit irrelevent to start commenting about his methods etc.

BACK ON TOPIC:

Incidentally, as regards his forum, at the moment Bold does not know what has happened, has had no communication from the host and doesn't believe the forum will be coming back. He also has no plans to start a new forum. The current situation is that he has moved to another forum that contains a mirror of his guide.

I have always enjoyed Bolds site (his views) and his sense of humor (even before he had the site). I dont do that much "slimming down" of my OS but Ive always enjoyed learning and "tweaking" new stuff and I like doing it manually rather than with some app generally speaking. I guess just because Ive been doing it that way for so long Ive sort of gotten used to it. But of course to each, his/her own. Im sad to see Bolds site down (thru what appears to be no fault of his own) but its nice to see how youve highlighted a few particulars here Doc Trout. Thanks, I really appreciate that. B)

Do you know what these files are?

aaaamon.dll

EqnClass.Dll

kd1394.dll

mchgrcoi.dll

miglibnt.dll

w32topl.dll

winshfhc.dll

He knows. :)

And although he did not tell me anything, I knew immediately why I should delete them from XP's System32. :lol:

GL

Thank you all for your kind words.

My site is down, and will remain down. It was never really "my" site, it belonged to Sadie, a lady who lives in England. She gave it to me to support my work on Slimming Down Windows XP: The Complete Guide. You can read more about it here...

http://www.graphixanstuff.com/Forum/index.php?showtopic=9354

Jan has hosted the guide for you in the event of something like this happening. Jan's copy of my guide is the only copy that I have granted permission to host, and it is the only copy posted on the Internet that I keep updated. It's there for you when you need it.

The guide was always for you. That's why I created it. It is my gift to those who always wanted to know which files they can delete from Windows XP but couldn't find the answer...my site was only an after thought.

The guide is here for you when you need it...

http://www.graphixanstuff.com/Forum/index.php?showforum=68

Sincerely,

Bold_Fortune