[Preview] Introducing Vize

XPero

Description

Vize Basic is a GUI enhancer for Windows Vista. It replaces most of the non-Vista icons, animations and bitmaps that Microsoft is still overlooking.

Vize automates the process of replacing resources in system files, applying the real fit and finish to Windows Vista.

The patching process will not disable Vista's built-in security features. Vize will automatically restore all files and folder permissions, making your Vista experience nicer without sacrificing security.

Screenshots

Vize01.png

Vize02.png

Additional Information

Vize will update almost all the old resources left in Vista, including the famous "Previous Versions" icon.

Availability

First Beta version due to mid September.

Very nice job man, hope that it will be as great as the xpize franchize...

i cant believe that m$ still does not fix that s***, i mean... come on man

its like 2007 now, why the old icons huh?

oh well, good luck with it XPero, and if you need help, i have vista too man.

damian666

Edited by damian666

I appreciate your efforts with Vise... As I’m sure once I go over to Vista (not anytime soon, I hasten to add) I’ll benefit from it, as indeed I am doing now, with your XPize efforts.

However, surely the main reason for the need for XPize (rather ironically), in the first place, was because Microsoft decided to concentrate their efforts on Vista, and thus leave parts of the GUI side of XP un-XPized... Indeed, as they now also seem to be doing again, with Vista – and hence the need for Vize...

As I see it, XPize is not completely finished just yet.... As I, at least, have several icons/pictures (and probably many more, that I’m yet to come across) remaining from the pre XP days, that still need to be dealt with via XPize...

Therefore... wouldn't it be a good idea, to concentrate all your efforts on XPize, getting it finished completely... Unlike Microsoft, who left XP incomplete (GUI wise), for someone else to deal with (i.e., you)...

Just a thought...

Edited by mr_sepia_tone

"concentrate all your efforts on XPize":

I've been doing that for 3 years now :)

"getting it finished completely":

I think that XPize is the example of a program that cannot be finished. I always have to deal with new old resources, new updated MS software, new 3rd party apps, etc...

Anyway, who said XPize is gonna die? I plan rewritting it in C#, to be more versatile and powerfull without all the limitations of NSIS.

I plan rewritting it in C#, to be more versatile and powerfull without all the limitations of NSIS.

i just hope that both 32bit AND 64bit versions with include the same patcher so all versions will work the same way...

"concentrate all your efforts on XPize":

I've been doing that for 3 years now :)

"getting it finished completely":

I think that XPize is the example of a program that cannot be finished. I always have to deal with new old resources, new updated MS software, new 3rd party apps, etc...

Anyway, who said XPize is gonna die? I plan rewritting it in C#, to be more versatile and powerfull without all the limitations of NSIS.

Knew it would be controversial, when I posted it, but I still think it needed to be said – as much as I appreciate XPize, believe it, or not...

Many here probably agree with my post, and indeed, wished they’d had the balls to say it...

Never said it was going to die... although, you’re the only one that really knows/knew that... which I’m very glad to hear, of course...

It is not controversial at all. I just wanted to be direct in my answers (without wanting to be controversial either). Your post makes a lot of sense, and I know many people here agree.

The thing is that the XPize code has reached a state that it is a pain to maintain. So I started Vize to see how well a shell pack written in C# would work. For now, Vize is working like a charm, so I will be soon porting XPize to C# too. XPize in NSIS is not fun anymore for me.

It is not controversial at all. I just wanted to be direct in my answers (without wanting to be controversial either). Your post makes a lot of sense, and I know many people here agree.

The thing is that the XPize code has reached a state that it is a pain to maintain. So I started Vize to see how well a shell pack written in C# would work. For now, Vize is working like a charm, so I will be soon porting XPize to C# too. XPize in NSIS is not fun anymore for me.

Keep up the all good work, XPero. Because despite what I said, I do support you, in everything you do - honest!

Hello from hellas, i'm using xpize to replace the old-looking icons for a long time so after the release of Windows Vista i decided to create my own pack.

Since i didn't had any source, like XIS, i created a batch cmd file and as far as i had tested it works ok for windows resources such as basebrd, imageres, taskmgr the all these crap and for some 3rd party appz, nero, winamp, firefox and staff.

I'm telling all these cause it would be nice to open the code of Vize and to consider it as a highly customizing platform for replacing windows resources.

doomangel, i guess you probably did not read this entire topic, so i wil sumarize if for you,

Xpize has been there for a long time now, and since became open source (hense all the other shellpacks like darkside),

now where are comming at a point where it neads to be ported to vista, (probably be ported to a better resource editor (for vista icons) and mutch more), yet since xpize no longer works really well, xpero desided to build a new app from scratch ....

im sure once this app is anyway near usable for the general publik hell release it, and im verry sure it will support other themes, or icon set just as xpize...

first of all i'm sorry, my english are really bad. second i hadn't read the topic. i use reshacker for modifying vista resources and it's working well so far, it would be nice if xpero could create a better resource handler. He could release a beta or even an alpha of vize and vize source so the rest of us test it and/or improve it.