New Scan disk and defragger for 98

tlcmd

Dumb Newbie again. I'm certain the answer is here, but i cannot find it. I've upgraded Windows 98SEwith the SP2 and the auto-patch and it's July update, but my scan disk still does the same old 10 and "do you wand to continue seeing this message?" Is there not an improved scan disk and defragger out there for 98SE? Or if it is in my updates, how do i find it?

Thanks,

Dick

From MDGx's page

DISKMIND:

http://www.mdgx.com/add.htm#TLS

New DMINDR32.EXE + DMDOS.EXE disk scanners [scandskw.exe + scandisk.exe replacements]:

* Helix DiskMinder Hard Disk Scanner + Repair tools v1.03 improved Microsoft ScanDskw for Windows (SCANDSKW.EXE) + ScanDisk for DOS (SCANDISK.EXE) replacements DMindr32 32-bit (DMINDR32.EXE) for Windows 98/98 SP1/98 SE/ME + DmDOS 16-bit (DMDOS.EXE) for MS-DOS 7/8:

http://www.mdgx.com/files/diskmind.php

Direct download [478 KB]:

http://www.mdgx.com/files/DISKMIND.EXE

• 6 years later...

I have been experiencing the same problem lately, that is, scandskw starts, repeats the "checking FAT" and

"checking directories" 10 times, then issues the message "Scandisk was restarted 10 times because some

software is interfering with it by writing to disk" . If I chose "continue", it does this again and again.

Pressing ctrl-alt-del shows only scandisk itself and explorer as running processes.

I noticed I have two versions of scandskw in this machine, 4.79.1998 and 4.90.3000 ;

both act the same way.

I also tried the dmindr32 I downloaded from the mdgx site and it also acts the same, except that

it does not try 10 times before issuing the error message.

If I force DOS scandisk, by turning the machine off and on with the power switch,

it proceeds to the end without finding any error.

I did pull the network plug to check if this was not caused by a network interrupt,

but nothing changed.

I remember that I did use scandskw in the past without this problem, but the last time

was several months ago, so I cannot tell what changed since. I do not even remember whether

it was before or after I upgraded this machine from Windows 98 to 98SE early in this year.

Current configuration

O/S: Windows 98 SE

HD: 4.7 GB IDE, one FAT32 partition

If you can run scandisk in true DOS and it finds no error, then I have news for you:

What's happening in Windows is that "some software is actually writing to disk from time to time".

Really. And only you, who are on site, can find what is it.

Pressing ctrl-alt-del shows only scandisk itself and explorer as running processes.

Temporarily disable any screensaver and monitor stand-by mode in Display properties.

Kill the Explorer process (with Scandisk already launched) and try running Scandisk again.

If it succeeds then there's something hooked to your Explorer and that may be bad news.

If it behaves exactly as before then there may be some driver's fault, running in debug mode, writing to a log, stdout or something.

Launch msconfig and see what you can (temporarily) disable without losing essential functionality, then try Scandisk again.

Let us know what you did and what was the outcome. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

There is not any screensaver in use nor monitor timeout.

I did disable stimon before asking this forum.

Indeed, the only thing in win.ini /system.ini I am in some doubt is cmmpu;

anything nonessential was already disabled.

I could not kill explore. If I try, using ctrl-alt-del, the turn-off dialog box

"Do you want to

put computer in standby

turn computer off

restart computer

restart computer in DOS mode "

appears, and if I check any of the options, it is performed.

If I do not check any and wait, the box

"The process is not responding

Do you want to

End task

Cancel "

appears, but if i chose "end task" , both boxes close and explorer keeps running.

I tested scandisk also in Windows safe mode, and it behaved the same.

The "log results" option in scandisk menu is not checked.

Some more ideas came to mind:

- defective HDD (bad/unstable sectors) --> run HDAT2 or other similar tool that can check and fix bad sectors

- defective or badly plugged-in IDE cable --> remove and reinsert the IDE cable firmly at both ends (careful not to bend or break any pins!)

One certain way to kill Explorer without having it restart itself is through CodeStuff Starter. That tool is also useful to check all startup items and enable/disable them at will (but careful not to disable critical system components!)

Cmmpu might be related to the C-Media soundcard, an MPU driver. Shouldn't be a problem, I have a C-Media card myself and Scandisk runs just fine.

• 1 month later...

While a hardware problem can never be disproved, there is against this hypothesis the fact

that scandisk, whether started by the power switch or from command line in DOS mode,

always runs without problem and does not report any error, whlie scandskw alway fails.

I downloaded CodeStufStarter from codestuff.obninsk.ru, but it refuses to install,

because of some issue with user32.dll (see attachment).start.txt

Please find the zip version of the Starter application - the installer is apparently incompatible with the 9x systems, I've experienced that myself ever since v5.6.2.9. I should've mentioned that before, my apologies. If you can't find it, then install Starter on a 2000/XP/+ system and then just copy its folder to the 9x machine.

I'm thinking there is a slight possibility that your Windows Scandisk may have mixed files. Please unpack the 'scanfrag' package separately in a new folder using a compatible archiver and then compare file version/size (and even a binary compare, if possible) of each file against those installed in the system. If you find any discrepancies, then please try reinstalling the package, even in Safe Mode if it throws any errors.

I'm getting old and forgetfull but I seem to remember there was a wrong version dskmaint.dll in SCANFRAG, while the scandisk pacakage in Maximus-Decim BHDD31e [link] is complete and just works...

I mean: dskmaint.dll v. 4.90.0.3000 is required by scandskw.exe v. 4.90.0.3000. The corresponding DOS scandisk.exe, OTOH, is standalone.

• 3 weeks later...

I tried the zip version of Starter and it installs and works.

However, it hangs (stops, neither keyboard nor

mouse respond any longer) if I try to kill explorer.

It shows quite a few more processes running than

the native dialog box, but killing anyone does not

change the behaviour of scandskw.

There two versions of scandskw.exe; 4.70.1998 and 4.90.3000,

in this machine, but only version 4.70.1998 of dskmaint.dll.

Nevertheless, both versions of scandskw work (fail) the same way.

I believe that, as dencorso said, some software is writing to

disk, but it has so far impossible to find.

Rename the 4.70.1998 versions, for instance, like this scandskw.exe becomes scandskw_exe.not and dskmaint.dll becomes dskmaint_dll.not and then add dskmaint.dll 4.90.3000 to the selfsame folder where you found dskmaint.dll 4.70.1998... you can get the ENU version on the pack I pointed you to, or the BRZ from a BRZ CD. Try replacing dskmaint.dll... it may solve your issue (or not, but you lose nothing by trying it).