How do I do an unattended installation of the East Asian Languages?

It's been a long time since i thought about this, but for xp you have seperate MUI's for languages. What you would do is buy a mui and there is seperate unattend settings for this MUI. note that only xp pro, not home, supports mui's. There was a microsoft article on the mui unattend settings, try support.microsoft.com and search on mui and unattend.

-gosh

It's been a long time since i thought about this, but for xp you have seperate MUI's for languages. What you would do is buy a mui and there is seperate unattend settings for this MUI. note that only xp pro, not home, supports mui's. There was a microsoft article on the mui unattend settings, try support.microsoft.com and search on mui and unattend.

-gosh

Are you sure about this? Windows XP Pro has an option to install the East Asian Language pack and no where does it say that I have to buy it.

• 2 weeks later...

The solution (at least the one I use) just involves some entires in the winnt.sif. So the detailed procedure can be found in the the preinstallation reference (SUPPORT\TOOLS\DEPLOY.CAB on your XP CD). However, as language support consists of a combination of languages, keyboard layouts, and locales, the corresponding settings involve more than just setting one parameter (so there are several possible solutions that might match your initial request).

I use the following to get Japanese language support with Japanese, US, and German keyboard layouts:

[RegionalSettings]
LanguageGroup=7,1
SystemLocale=00000407
UserLocale=00000407
InputLocale=0407:00000407,0411:e0010411
UserLocale_DefaultUser=00000407
InputLocale_DefaultUser=0407:00000407,0411:e0010411

Traditional and Simplified Chinese are language groups 9 and 10 (1 is US and Western Europe), so LanguageGroup=1,9,10 should work for you. As for the rest you'd have to look into the presintallation reference for the parameter meanings and on the Microsoft website for the value encodings. As ref.chm links only to an overview site, I also had to search for it. The values are listed at http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/referen...xp/xp-lcid.mspx

So with this value list and the preinstallation reference, I think you can accomplish your task. I also struggle with the various parameter meanings, but I think it helps to just group them into the default user part (which is quite clearly what each new user will inherit, and which always is just one value) and the rest (which determines what is to be installed, and which may be a list of values).

Good luck!

Here are my settings for Chinese Simplified (PinYin input method) and Russian:

[RegionalSettings]
LanguageGroup=5,10
SystemLocale=00000419
UserLocale=00000419
InputLocale=0409:00000409,0419:00000419,0804:e00e0804

Some notes for easy understanding:

1. LanguageGroup=5,10 - install Cyrillic (5) and Chinese Simplified support (10). Chinese Traditional should be 9.

2. SystemLocale=00000419 - Russian as a system language (installed programs will have menus in Russian).

3. UserLocale=00000419 - Russian as a default language for default user.

4. InputLocale=0409:00000409,0419:00000419,0804:e00e0804 - keyboards or input methods for 3 languages: US keyboard (0409:00000409), Russian keyboard (0419:00000419), Chinese (Simplified) Microsoft PinYin input method (0804:e00e0804).

You can find out the settings for your languages in INTL.INF file inside the distro.

Edited by Oleg_II

The solution (at least the one I use) just involves some entires in the winnt.sif. So the detailed procedure can be found in the the preinstallation reference (SUPPORT\TOOLS\DEPLOY.CAB on your XP CD). However, as language support consists of a combination of languages, keyboard layouts, and locales, the corresponding settings involve more than just setting one parameter (so there are several possible solutions that might match your initial request).

I use the following to get Japanese language support with Japanese, US, and German keyboard layouts:

[RegionalSettings]
LanguageGroup=7,1
SystemLocale=00000407
UserLocale=00000407
InputLocale=0407:00000407,0411:e0010411
UserLocale_DefaultUser=00000407
InputLocale_DefaultUser=0407:00000407,0411:e0010411

Traditional and Simplified Chinese are language groups 9 and 10 (1 is US and Western Europe), so LanguageGroup=1,9,10 should work for you. As for the rest you'd have to look into the presintallation reference for the parameter meanings and on the Microsoft website for the value encodings. As ref.chm links only to an overview site, I also had to search for it. The values are listed at http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/referen...xp/xp-lcid.mspx

So with this value list and the preinstallation reference, I think you can accomplish your task. I also struggle with the various parameter meanings, but I think it helps to just group them into the default user part (which is quite clearly what each new user will inherit, and which always is just one value) and the rest (which determines what is to be installed, and which may be a list of values).

Good luck!

Can you set the systemlocale to install more than one language? The thing is that if I set the systemlocale to only 1, then when I install Chinese software, the software itself display incomprehensible characters. However, I don't have any problems reading Chinese characters on the internet.

Can you set the systemlocale to install more than one language?

Unfortunatelly, no way... But if we are talking about English and Chinese - they can work together in system with Chinese system locale.

Can you set the systemlocale to install more than one language?

Unfortunatelly, no way... But if we are talking about English and Chinese - they can work together in system with Chinese system locale.

Right now I only have one entry for system locale and that is set to English. If I change the system locale to Chinese, then things will still display in English? If so, what is the value for the system locale to get Chinese fonts?

Turn your system locale to Chinese Simplified. It doesn't effect English input and ability to read in English in any program or file format.

Now all new programs will install with Chinese menus (if they have language file for it).

If a program doesn' have Chinese language file it will just install with English menu.

If a program installs with Chinese menu but you need English, just change the language in options.

Some Chinese only programs won't have English menu - for example Chinese version of QQ messanger. It doesn't metter as they don't have English menus in a system with English system locale anyway.

PS After changing system locale to Chinese some programs menus may have menus that are a bit distorted (readable but not... how to say it - not as good looking as before). Experiment with font settings for this program if there are any in program options.

Turn your system locale to Chinese Simplified. It doesn't effect English input and ability to read in English in any program or file format.

Now all new programs will install with Chinese menus (if they have language file for it).

If a program doesn' have Chinese language file it will just install with English menu.

If a program installs with Chinese menu but you need English, just change the language in options.

Some Chinese only programs won't have English menu - for example Chinese version of QQ messanger. It doesn't metter as they don't have English menus in a system with English system locale anyway.

PS After changing system locale to Chinese some programs menus may have menus that are a bit distorted (readable but not... how to say it - not as good looking as before). Experiment with font settings for this program if there are any in program options.

Do I have to change the userlocale to Chinese simplified as well? If I change the value for system locale to Chinese simplified, then should I remove Chinese simplified option for input locale? I'll post my winnt.sif settings tomorrow for you to see.

Also, I don't see the INTL.INF file anywhere. What do you mean by distro?

Can you also explain why on Microsoft's website, there are different values for certain languages like Russian? I notice that there are two different values for Russian and yet you only have one set of values entered.

"0419:00000419,

0409:00000409"

Edited by Sgt_Strider

Do I have to change the userlocale to Chinese simplified as well? If I change the value for system locale to Chinese simplified, then should I remove Chinese simplified option for input locale?
System locale is for programs to show menus in choosing language (you especially need it for installing Chinese only programs). Input locale is for typing Chinese characters in such programs like Notepad, Write, MS Word, MS Excel, Outlook Express, etc.

If you need only the ability to type Chinese characters you only need to install Chinese input.

If you need install a program that only have Chinese menus and doesn't install in your English version of Windows you need Chinese as system locale.

Just try it - it doesn't hurt and you can switch back any time.

Also, I don't see the INTL.INF file anywhere. What do you mean by distro?
It's INTL.IN_ in i386 folder (file is compressed. Or it's INTL.INF in WINDOWS\INF folder (this folder is invisible, to see it you should enable showing system files and folders in options).
Can you also explain why on Microsoft's website, there are different values for certain languages like Russian? I notice that there are two different values for Russian and yet you only have one set of values entered.

"0419:00000419,

0409:00000409"

Wrong! Russian need only one setting. One of these settings is for English US keyboard ;) Edited by Oleg_II

@OlegII

How does my settings look? I set it up for English, French, and Chinese/East Asian Language.

LanguageGroup=1,9,10
SystemLocale=00000804
UserLocale=00001009
InputLocale=1009:00000409,0c0c:00011009,0804:00000804,0409:00000409

Also, I notice some glitches by setting the system locale to Chinese. I notice that on some webpages like Panasonic's Canadian webpage, it display something like this: "5.8燝Hz燚igital cordless燼nswering system爓ith? handsets". Notice the Chinese characters that appear in the sentence?

Edited by Sgt_Strider

The structure looks fine (though I don't know and can't check all the values for input languages you need).

About the glitched - yes, they may happen. It's the cost of using Chinese only programs with menus in Chinese :wacko: You choose :rolleyes: Or you may switch to Chinese system locale any time you need to use such a program.

I doubt it is possible to get rid of these glitches if you happen to find right fonts settings. But I don't think it'worth spending time on it (and the results are not for sure).