Are Sata Optical Drives Worth It?

I 3rd the Pioneer drive. I've been using them for years without problems.

Personally, I don't trust LiteOn drives. While they may burn fine, they don't seem to last as long as some of the other drives on the market (even drives that are based on the same basic internal hardware).

I've got a Pioneer A08 in my home machine that I've had since they were released several years ago. It still works and burns just fine.

Personally, I don't trust LiteOn drives. While they may burn fine, they don't seem to last as long as some of the other drives on the market (even drives that are based on the same basic internal hardware).

In a country like Mexico where 20% of the market places are filled up with copied stuff, films, music, programs and more, they know what to pick for burning all those discs. An average LiteOn can do up to 2000 DVDs on 8x with no exception. They use these drivers in an enclosure for 9 devices and they are fully occupied and get pretty warm too, these machines work like 12 hours a day, 7 days a week. Any way, the most popular ones are LG, but they are less precise then LiteOn but cheaper to buy.

So, I think LiteOn isn’t that bad and would advice it to any one. But for real, who cares about a DVD-RW writer these days, all of them are cheap. Before we looked at speeds for ripping CDs into MP3 and Toshiba came out as one of the fastest, but that was years ago. Now, almost all drives rip at the same speed, burn almost the same amount of discs and come in black, grey or beige/white so there isn’t such a difference any more. Pioneer had something special before, the sloth-in DVD readers; those were unbreakable for sure...

So, I think LiteOn isn’t that bad and would advice it to any one. But for real, who cares about a DVD-RW writer these days, all of them are cheap. Before we looked at speeds for ripping CDs into MP3 and Toshiba came out as one of the fastest, but that was years ago. Now, almost all drives rip at the same speed, burn almost the same amount of discs and come in black, grey or beige/white so there isn’t such a difference any more. Pioneer had something special before, the sloth-in DVD readers; those were unbreakable for sure...

I sure hope you mean: "Who cares about the price of a DVD-RW these days. I definitely care what brand I get, because of the hassle and frustration when dealing with a failed burn. I had a Sony DVD burner in my machine at work, and I needed to burn some installation CDs. The damned thing just would not finish a CD! I ended up having to FTP the files to my laptop (wired and wireless are separate) and then burn them there. Ever had to wait two hours to transfer data, to burn a couple of CDs?

Anyone worried about quality should ask jcarle how many DVDs he's ripped and burned over the past year. :lol:

ahem.

The Best.

Plextor. 'nuff said.

the first dvd burner i bought was a plextor, i read all around that it was a great drive blah blah blah, i went to go used it an IMO it sucked. so about 6 months later i bought a NEC and i still use it to this day. the plextor layed unsed in my pc until my dads drive failed and i gave him my plextor.

I sure hope you mean: "Who cares about the price of a DVD-RW these days...

... Anyone worried about quality should ask jcarle how many DVDs he's ripped and burned over the past year. :lol:

No, not the price, those are almost the same now, and while they so low, you could afford a mistake by buying not the most recommended one ;).

I’m doing 10 DVD´s a day here, just for customers. Some days I do 100 in a row or so...