The computer got very poorly and decided to end it's own suffering

fiberglasscivic

that isn't an easter egg, it's a place holder filled in during runtime. What happens is when you use the shutdown event tracker, the gina fills in the right text so you never see that. Microsoft programmers know that so they just put whatever.

this is what she's talking about

-gosh

post-7679-1187738660_thumb.jpg

He, thank you, and yes that is exactly what I was talking about. By definition, that classifies as an easter egg. It may not have been placed there so that someone could do a key command followed by a few mouse clicks and viola!, there it is, but there are tons of other things that the Microsoft team could have put there as a place holder that wouldn't have been as comical or as pleasing to someone who happened across it. That specific choice of dialog, is a great find for anyone who would be thumbing through dll resources trying to hack their way to a more custom windows experience. Personally I though it was funny.

the shutdown event tracker is enabled by default in server 2003

it hardly constitutes as an easter egg, its just so that windows knows why you shut it down

It's not the Event Tracker itself that he considers the easter egg, it's the default text that's embedded is msgina.

I like to play with people's brains and out in a customized gina with certain things changed, for example, instead of "Please wait..." while logging on or off or shutting down it would say "Hold on!! Be patient...", and instead of "Are you sure you want to log off" it would say "Don't leave me!" with buttons saying "Too bad." and "OK, I'll stay" and instead of "Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to log on", "What, don't you know what to press? No? Too bad." and things like that. Lots of fun, and drives people crazy.