Which Updates for Win98SE

tlcmd

As a newbie just learning about the non-official updates to Win98SE, I'm confused. The lists are incredible, and comprehensive, but how do I know which ones to use? I've downloaded and installed the Service Pack 2 (98 SE SP2)

What does it not include that is needed to completely update Windows 98 SE on my older computer (600MHZ Pentium III) with an 18.6 Gig hard drive (and 17 Gigs of free space)? This is a "general usage" computer.

The inclusive major question is: In what order is the update list at http://www.bpa23.host.sk/98alive.html?

Do I need to post any other info here for y'all experts to delineate my question?

Thanks,

Dick

Well, there are a bunch of choices for how you want to go about things.

The Unofficial Auto-Patcher for Windows 98SE is an all inclusive method that includes everything and gives you choices within it regarding which optional programs you may want it to install for you.

The mdgx.com website has every Windows, Internet Explorer, Direct X, Windows Media Player, etc. update know to Men or Women and if you print out the lists from the various sections and download the files into labled folders that you can burn to cdr for future use (or download and read the same info in txt format you could also print out) and go from the bottom of the lists to the top for installation order (oldest to newest), that's a manual way of doing it.

Then there is the Maximus-Decim packages for Windows 98SE, Internet Explorer, and MDAC. Those are nice as well.

Gape is working on an updated version of the Unofficial Service Pack for Windows 98SE. He has a list of a recommended install order somewhere in his thread but it is nearly identical to the one in the readme provided with MDGX's 98SE2ME package so that's an easier way of obtaining a recommended installation order. Essentially it's motherboard drivers, Internet Explorer 6 SP1, Direct X 9.0c, the Service Pack, the rest of your hardware drivers with perhaps installing Windows Media Player 9 before your soundcard software if you use a Creative card and its software, and then various other updates (like Microsoft JavaVM and then Sun Java) before finalizing with 98SE2ME (if you have a Windows Me cd).

If you use Office, install versions older or equal to Office 2000 just before the Service Pack and versions after Office 2000 after the Service Pack to avoid MDAC related problems.

I used to use Maximus Decim's MDAC updater pack just before running 98SE2ME, and sometimes just in case I would run it again afterwards to ensure they meshed well with the Windows Me files. If you go the route of the Unofficial Service Pack I would recomment Maximus Decim's Internet Explorer update pack as well. Lots easier than installing all those on your own and his packs have been very stable in my experience.

The easiest and most thorough is still the Unofficial Auto-Patcher for Windows 98SE. You really don't need much else besides it when going that route. Just when you run it, always turn on toggle for each section that it's available for and go through all the screens to ensure you are turning on things you want that may be off by default and turning off things you think you'd prefer to do without that are on by default.

So, heh heh, choose your preferred poison and have fun with it! If I may suggest, going through the mdgx.com website and reading up on things would be a great education for you whichever method you decide to use.

At first I always recommended Gapes Service Pack to anyone that wanted fixes, now I personally prefer

Maximus Decim Cumulative Update ver.2.40 for Windows 98 Second Edition.

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=89232

It has all the official and un-official bug fixes for Windows 98SE plus fixes the Copy 2GB problem. It also has optional section for people with Hard Disks bigger than 137GB.

If you use Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 it is also highly recommended to install

Maximus Decim InternetExplorer 6.0sp1 Component Update 1.5

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=97816

Its a cumulative update that includes all up-to-date patches for IE6

The consensus is to install these updates in the following order:

1. Install Windows 98se.

2. Install Maximus Decim Cumulative Update ver.2.40 (mdcu240e.exe).

for Windows 98SE English.

3. Install PCIO98.EXE (it is included in mdcu240e.exe)

4. Install DirectX 9.0c. (August 2007)

6. Install drivers for motherboard, sound card, net card, video card and other devices.

7. Install full installation Internet Explorer 6.0Sp1.

8. Install q313829fix.exe (it is included in mdcu240e.exe).

9. Install MDIE6CU - Maximus Decim IE6sp1 Component Update 1.4.

10.Update Macromedia Flash Player for Internet Explorer.

11.Install Windows Media Player.

For Windows Media Player 6.4 install 320920.

Or install Windows Media 9.0 and updates 816044, 917734

Install codecs WMP 10.0.