need some advice on an ATI X1950 range...

eyeball

Hi all,

now that i have settled on my P5b Deluxe motherboard i am going to have to upgrade my graphics card to PCIe

like i said i dont play games, but i am an emulation fan, PSX, N64 ect so i want a half decent card, and if the rest of my system is gonna be great the graphics may as well be too. also it has to support dual output as i have 2 monitors.

I have narrowed it down to the ATI Sapphire X1950XT 256MB

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/in...duct_uid=119441

it seems really good, especially for what i want but there is also the X1950 PRO 512MB which costs a bit more but has double the VRAM

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/126774

does anyone know which one would be better?

thank you :)

Can I recommend an nVidia card...? I've dealt with ATI cards for the past three years, and their driver support is the pits.

An nVidia 8800GTS is a bit more pricey, but far better in terms of lack-of-headaches.

the 8800gts 320mb costs a little too much for him tho so get a 7900gs/8600gts.

For the money that a good 7900GS would cost you could just go with a 7950GT. NewEgg has the BFG 7950GT 256MB for ~$180.

XFX 7900GS - 256MB 256-bit DDR3 / 450MHz Core / 1320MHz Memory / 20 pixel pipelines

Or

BFG 7950GT - 256MB 256-bit DDR3 / 565MHz Core / 1430MHz Memory / 24 pixel pipelines

They're the same price...

I 3rd the NVIDIA suggestion though.

EDIT: Yeah, yeah...the first one is AGP but my point still stands. :D

Edited by nmX.Memnoch

the 8800gts 320mb costs a little too much for him tho so get a 7900gs/8600gts.

For the money that a good 7900GS would cost you could just go with a 7950GT. NewEgg has the BFG 7950GT 256MB for ~$180.

XFX 7900GS - 256MB 256-bit DDR3 / 450MHz Core / 1320MHz Memory / 20 pixel pipelines

Or

BFG 7950GT - 256MB 256-bit DDR3 / 565MHz Core / 1430MHz Memory / 24 pixel pipelines

They're the same price...

I 3rd the NVIDIA suggestion though.

EDIT: Yeah, yeah...the first one is AGP but my point still stands. :D

he's not getting it from newegg..

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/125936 vs http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/128026

thanks guys, i dont want a card that is too powerful for 2 reasons..

1) i dont play games much so it will never be fully utilised

2) im not sure my psu's can handle everything this setup will have

anyway back to the point, i really like the look of that X1950XT if it comes back in stock and im not 100% sure on why i would want an Nvidia over an ATI, as they have always been great for me. But if anyone can convince me otherwise im willing to listen.

Also i would say £110 is the most i will spend on a card, of course the cheaper the better but lets not be too skimpy or il just regret it later

cheers :)

i am using a 7600gt right now. i have not had any problems when running emulators. i think that even at 7900 is a bit over kill as it is the top of the 7 series. if you into watching videos a lot id recommend the 8600gt. the newer pure video helps decode video so the processor doesn't have to do all the work.

if you into watching videos a lot id recommend the 8600gt. the newer pure video helps decode video so the processor doesn't have to do all the work.

thats interesting, thats one of the reasons i have 2 monitors as im always watching something on one of them, what is that feature called exactly?

thanks

First, we need to know a bit more about your system.

Can you give us some specs please, like Motherboard type and Power Supply (how much Amperes does it say on the 12volt line(s))?

What kind of screens do you use (brand and model number)?

The x1950xx/79x0xx are nice cards but power-hungry and some cards don’t come with DVI to VGA adaptors...

right here goes, il post the finished pc specs:

2 X Hiper 580W Type-R PSU - Not sure about the 12V rails but each one has 4 so 8 in total

Asus P5B Deluxe Mobo

Q6600 Quad Core

4GB DDR2 800

4 X 400GB IDE HDD's

2 x 500GB SATA HDD's

1x 250GB SATA HDD

2x 40GB SATA HDD's

6 Case Fans + Controller

AND the Graphics card i am yet to decide on

:)

thanks

Edited by eyeball