Download easily all MS updates you need ! Finally!

From Bink.nu and Microsoft Update Team's Blog :

A new website for downloading updates for MS Products is available. It installs a new ActiveX.

It still lacks advanced search and filter functions in my opinion but it is a v1 so maybe in following version :rolleyes:

==> Microsoft Updates Catalog

The Microsoft Update Catalog v1 is Live!

I am excited to announce that we have released version 1.0 of the Microsoft Update Catalog! With the new Catalog, you can search for updates available through the Microsoft Update service and download them to your machine (regardless of whether the update is applicable to your machine). You can also import updates from the Catalog directly into WSUS 3.0, System Center Essentials 2007, or System Center Configuration Manager 2007.

Some key features of the MU Catalog include:

• Full-text search: You can search using a keyword, KB article, MSRC bulletin, driver manufacturer, driver model, driver version, product, and/or classification.
  • RSS: Save your searches in RSS and get notified when new updates match your criteria.
  • Download with BITS: We use BITS to make the download experience robust and efficient.
  • “Shopping basket”: You can select multiple updates (and multiple languages) and download them together.
  • Integration with WSUS: You can import updates from your basket into Windows Server Update Services 3.0, System Center Essentials 2007 or System Center Configuration Manager 2007.
  • Localization: The Catalog is localized in all core Windows Vista languages.

We hope you enjoy this new offering! Please give us your feedback. There are feedback options on the help page on the MU Catalog site.

Ha! Remind anyone of Windows Updates Downloader? :P Seems like a straight off copy of what I developed... mind you, it's a little hard to say anything considering WUD downloads THEIR updates. Heh. I guess it may spell the death of WUD.

It reminds me of WUD, but WUD is easier and more foreseeable to use.

The information on whether or not a hotfix has been replaced by a newer one is finally there, you couldn't find that in the KB-articles!

If I understood the FAQ correctly you can now download hotfixes that are not publically released (=obtained only by contacting MS), is that right?

I'm curious to know what key words everyone is using to search the catalog. I am simply using 'security update for vista'. Any other words or phrases helpful for anyone else?

Something similar would work ok, without quotes and skip "for", or simply just use "vista"'. You can also search by KB-number if you know it.

Combining this one with Windows Update and using it instead of searching the download center makes it useful.

WUD lists all updates/hotfixes and is better if you don't know which ones you need.

I'm curious to know what key words everyone is using to search the catalog. I am simply using 'security update for vista'. Any other words or phrases helpful for anyone else?

i got all updates for vista x86 and x64.

just type "vista" thts it.

Shame it needs IE and ActiveX. I can't believe they are still using that virus breeding technology!

...And the searching sucks. Searching for Vista returns over 1000 results. Handy. Luckly I'm using Vista x64 which returns 68.

But being able to download them all with the click of a button is nice. 'least they got something right!

Edited by Dobby

Shame it needs IE and ActiveX. I can't believe they are still using that virus breeding technology!

...And the searching sucks. Searching for Vista returns over 1000 results. Handy. Luckly I'm using Vista x64 which returns 68.

But being able to download them all with the click of a button is nice. 'least they got something right!

:angry: Agree

And most annoyingly you cant search by date.

It would be great if with a click of a button you could select all August patches, then another click have it narrowed down to August for XP SP2 or August Office 2007.

Still version 1 though...it's a good start but lets hope it gets updated soon