problems with ich6r

papu123

Hy there.

I'm using an ich6r raid controler with a asus motherboard 'p5gdcpro'.

I can't install windowsXP on my system.

I have integrated all the drivers with nLite.When the system boots from the cd it copys the iastor.sys and evreything seams ok.After all the files are copyed and the system is searching for the hard drives it can't find any and sometimes it findes my hard disk's(tow hard disk on a raid 0 configuration) but it has 0 MB.

Please help me. I have allready wasted 10 cd's with my test but i cat get any positive results.

Thank you.

This is just a guess, but I'm thinking your problem has nothing to do with nLite.

Most likely, your problem is either a bad hard drive, or you need to adjust settings in the BIOS. Try using another HDD. If you still have problems, post back and show/tell exactly what happens when you try to install XP. Just saying that it "won't install" doesn't give us much to go on.

;)

PS:

I just re-read your post. Something in there caught my eye. You say that "after XP copies all the files" it can't find the Hard Drive. That doesn't make much sense. How can XP copy files to a hard drive that it can't see?

:wacko:

PS:

I just re-read your post. Something in there caught my eye. You say that "after XP copies all the files" it can't find the Hard Drive. That doesn't make much sense. How can XP copy files to a hard drive that it can't see?

:wacko:

What i want to say is that the system is loading all the drivers and the other stuff after is booting from cd, and in this proccess the iastor.sys is copyed also, but when windows is staring up it can't find any hard drive, sometimes the raid is show but without any partition 'the hard drive could not be loaded' or something similar.

I thinking to give up.I have read a tone of information on this forum and on google but somehow i can get this to work :blushing:

I'm a web developer and i have wasted to much time on this.

Thank you for your help.

If you know any tutorial or post please tell me.Thanks again:).

I'm using an ich6r raid controler with a asus motherboard 'p5gdcpro'.

I can't install windowsXP on my system.

I have integrated all the drivers with nLite.When the system boots from the cd it copys the iastor.sys and evreything seams ok.After all the files are copyed and the system is searching for the hard drives it can't find any and sometimes it findes my hard disk's(tow hard disk on a raid 0 configuration) but it has 0 MB.

Please help me. I have allready wasted 10 cd's with my test but i cat get any positive results.

Did you really use a clean (=untouched) XP CD as source?

Papu123

First make sure you have the most recent ICH6R driver files; you need the contents of the F6 floppy, here.

Integrate that in nLite as textmode driver. This should go automatic. You will have to answer a question which configuration you want.

Make sure you selected RAID for the IDE configuration in the ASUS BIOS.

If it does not work you may try to obtain the identifier of your RAID device; it should be: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2652&CC_0104.

You can find that identifier after booting into DOS or WinPE, and use devcon.

RaGhul: I believe Windows can use a small part of the hard drive without having the proper drivers. It is like being able to use the video display without the official driver.

Edited by BikinDutchman

@papu123

Ok, now I get it. So you're trying to install XP to a SATA drive. I'd take BikinDutchman's advice since I have very little experience with this.

@BikinDutchman

Thx for the info. I've read on other forums people having this type of problem with SATA drives. Maybe nuhi can shed some light on this. I'm pretty sure that some generic motherboards are just a huge pain in the arse with this, though.

I know I tried to install XP onto a SATA drive for a whole week on an ECS motherboard that didn't even support hot-plugging. I finally just gave up and traded it for an IDE, lol. :D

I think that the most problematic parts of Windows XP HDD driver method are: the special textmode treatment and the handling of txtsetup.oem.

One good thing of VISTA is that is handles HDD drivers much more like the other drivers.

So far I have been able to figure it out for several different systems but had to go in the deep (inspect inf files, use devcon).

This is clearly an ongoing source of trouble. Maybe it is time for a small tutorial. Will think about that.