start /wait on XP SP2

VoodooV

I apologize if this has been brought up before, I did a search, but couldn't find anything.

I've been trying to script out some application installs via batch files. I discovered the start /wait command. But it doesn't seem to work for me. when I run the batch, all the installs fire off simultaneously.

I've read that for whatever reason, the /wait functionality doesn't work in SP2 anymore. If this is true, is there a way around it? The only workaround I know of currently is using powershell scripts using "| out-null"

Thanks in advance.

The only time I have had a problem with the start /wait command is if it's some sort of self-extracting archive that runs a command after extracting - in that case, it seems like it extracts the archive, then releases the process and the command issued after extracting the archive is its own independent process. Even then it depends on the type of archive. Don't recall all of them off hand - but can tell you for sure this seems to happen with self-extracting .rar archives. So what I personally do is just have self-extracting .rar archives extract to a fixed folder - but don't run any command itself after extracting - instead use the start /wait command again to actually run what you want after that archive is extracted.