Unattended/Slipstream from Dell CD?

I have an old Dell Re-install CD from about 4 years ago. I have used it to install a fresh copy of XP before. It has SP1 on it. The last time I used it, was on my old Duron machine just to see if it would indeed work, and it did.

So I thought I would see if I could make a slipstream/unattended WindowsXP package from this same CD. I followed the instructions, based on the beginner section. The only thing I did not do is make it unattended. My goal was to simply make an updated ISO that had SP2 and all the hotfixes. I put on all the Hotfixes for XP I found in the forums except the last one in the list.

The installation went without a hitch. I was installing it on a 600GB RAID0 I had setup. Everything appeared to work fine, went through the format and install just fine. However, when I finally attempt to boot into that RAID0, the WinXP Home screen comes up, and after about 15 seconds, I get a Blue Screen saying it encountered an error and to restart, or restart in Safe Mode.

Where should I begin with the troubleshooting? Could it be my ISO package? Is it because I was using a Dell CD? Is this even possible to do, using a Dell CD? Should I have gone even further and removed all the Dell stuff from the package and put in the drivers I would need for my hardware?

Thanks in advance.

Hi DefStatic,

You should be able to use any OEM's disk as your slipstreaming a Service Pack first, but you'd be better off using a plain Hologramed OEM disk. As some OEM's add/remove drivers from their disks.

At a guess I'd say your trouble was the RAID drivers.

Try your slipstreamed CD on a basic PC first. Then, when you know its working try it on the exotic stuff. ;)

Hi DefStatic,

You should be able to use any OEM's disk as your slipstreaming a Service Pack first, but you'd be better off using a plain Hologramed OEM disk. As some OEM's add/remove drivers from their disks.

At a guess I'd say your trouble was the RAID drivers.

Try your slipstreamed CD on a basic PC first. Then, when you know its working try it on the exotic stuff. ;)

Hmmmm, good idea about trying it ona non-raid first.

I was reading stuff here: http://www.msfn.org/board/lofiversion/index.php/t23915.html but nothing really seemed relevant to my problem.

Uhg, wish I had another HD to work off of. I recreated the slipsteamed CD with drivers specific for my computer, and I am going to see what happens. If it does not work again, I will just have to try a simple install on one of the drives until I get it to work.

EDIT: I do not think it is my ISO I created. Even with adding all the nForce drivers, I get the same issue.

Upon restart and what should be the first time boot of XPHome after install, I get the XPHome screen, and then the blue screen, which says UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_DEVICE.

Edited by DefStatic

The best way to test your builds is with a Virtual PC, both VMWare and Microsoft have them for free download.

test your build in the VPC if it still dosen't work, I'd scrap it and start again.

Only this time test it in the VPC after each addtion.

By that I mean Slipstream SP2, make an image and test it.

If it works add your Hotfixes, make an image and test it.

If that works add your Apps and Reg's, make an image and test it.

Lastly add your drivers, then make a real disk and test it on your PC.

Hope that helps. :)