Latestest Office patches won't install

MarkJohnson

I just booted up my system last night and it said updates were ready to install. I look and there are 3 Office updates waiting, I install them and they won't install. is anyone else having this problem?

KB940602 - Security update for Excel 2003

KB936048 - Security update for Office 2003

KB936643 - Update for Outlook junk email filter 2003

could I maybe have a virus or something? everything checks out OK. I also remember my XP x64 machine had a security update that wouldn't install for Adobe reader. it let me hide it, but now it doesn't. The same with these updates, it won't let me hide them.

TIA

-=Mark=-

• 2 weeks later...

Update for Outlook Junk Email Filter 2003 (KB936643)

Security Update for Office 2003 (KB936048)

Security Update for Excel 2003 (KB940602)

All 3 of these updates were failing for me. I installed the ActiveX component from the Office Online Download page (http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/downloads/default.aspx) like it was suggested on other forums, same result. I tried downloading the updates directly from Microsoft and that didn't work either. However, when I downloaded the updates directly from Microsoft and tried to install locally, I got this message:

"Error 25090. Office Setup encountered a problem with the Office Source Engine, system error: -2147023838. Please open C:\ program files\ Microsoft Office\ OFFICE11\ 1033\ SETUP.CHM and look for the "Office Source Engine" for information on how to resolve this problem."

This gave me an idea. I went to "Services' (START > RUN > type in "services.msc" without the quotes) and saw that at some point I must have disabled the "Office Source Engine" service. I set the service back to automatic and started the service. I then went back to the Microsoft Update site and the 3 updates installed fine.

I have also read that certain anti-virus products may prevent these updates from installing properly.