RunOnceEx problem

ZaForD

Hi Guys,

I'm new to HFSlip, so my problem could be me :D

I'm trying to run a few .EXE's, .REG's and .CMD's from RunOnceEx on install of Win2K.

I've tried adding a RunOnceEx.reg and a RunOnceEx.cmd to HFGUIRUNONCE but they neither worked.

Then I tried adding a RunOnceEx.reg, .BAT and/or .CMD to CMDLINE.TXT in a $OEM$ folder but that doesn't work either.

In fact the only way I can get it to work is to double click my RunOnceEx.reg file [.CMD or .BAT still won't work] once Win2K has laoded and then reboot.

I've made plenty of unattended disks before, using either the /Integrate switch or RyanVM's packs all of which installed these extras from RunOnceEx, athough they were all WinXP not Win2K.

Anyone have any ideas whats happening ?

p.s. A big Thank You to TommyP & Tomcat76 for a great slipstreaming app.

Not just is it easy to use, but the fact it works with both Win2K and WinXP could save me a lot of messing around, in my new job.

Thanks Guys. :thumbup

Well... If it doesn't work with CMDLINES.TXT either then chances are slimmer it's an HFSLIP-related problem. And the fact that you say your CMD and BAT files don't work after Windows setup has completed is strange as well.

BTW... HFGUIRUNONCE is intended for programs/files to run after the first user logon.

Can I see your HFSLIP.LOG file?

Are you using other tools to slim down the new source?

Hi Tomcat76,

Thanks for the quick reply. :)

I haven't used anything to slim it down as I'm still testing things out in VPC2007 so image size is not important.

I did add BTS's Drive pack, which appeared to work fine. But I figured that may have something to do with it, so I'm building a new image which has nothing added, to see what happens.

If I have the same problem I'll post the .LOG file.

But, I've already deleted the old image and SOURCES folder. :blushing:

Hi Tomcat76,

I just finished building and installing a basic image, including yesterdays updates.

All I added was an $OEM$ folder with a CMDLINES.TXT and simple RunOnceEx.cmd

The install was floorless, but still nothing happened on first boot or was added to the registry ? :no:

Is it possible that the RunOnceEx has been broken by one of the IE6 updates, like on IE7 awhile back.

I'm going to do a clean install from my orginal SP0 disk next just to make sure thats OK.

And I'll report back tomorrow.

Heres the HFSLIP.LOG from my last attempt for you to look at.

Maybe you can see if or where I'm messing up. :whistle:

HFSLIP.zip

I have a couple of questions...

Is Windows2000-Script57.exe the new scripten.exe renamed so it's supported by the current final release?

If it is, you may want to know that it can't be slipstreamed properly right now. MS screwed up the digital signature in the binaries inside that update causing Windows setup to refuse to copy them into DLLCACHE. However, HFGUIRUNONCE didn't fail on me during the tests I did with the new scripten.exe.

Does the User Profile Hive Cleanup Service install properly? (see Add/Remove Programs)

You are slipstreaming MDAC 2.8 SP1 (MDAC_TYP.EXE) but also a hotfix for MDAC 2.5 SP3 (MDAC253-KB927779-x86-ENU.exe). You need MDAC281-KB927779-x86-ENU.exe when slipstreaming MDAC 2.8 SP1.

Hi Tomcat76,

I just tried an install straight from an orignal MSDN Win2K Pro disk, then tried to add my RunOnceEx files after install. But still only the .REG worked. :no:

I'm going to have to look into the .CMD and .BAT files again, maybe theres a difference between Win2K and WinXP syntax ?

I've already found one in the Winnt.sif, so there maybe more.

Is Windows2000-Script57.exe the new scripten.exe renamed so it's supported by the current final release?

If it is, you may want to know that it can't be slipstreamed properly right now. MS screwed up the digital signature in the binaries inside that update causing Windows setup to refuse to copy them into DLLCACHE. However, HFGUIRUNONCE didn't fail on me during the tests I did with the new scripten.exe.

Yeah, thats right.

I wasn't sure if the WinXP and Win2K files were the same so I renamed them both. Just in case.

Does the User Profile Hive Cleanup Service install properly? (see Add/Remove Programs)
Yeah, Its listed there at 644KB
You are slipstreaming MDAC 2.8 SP1 (MDAC_TYP.EXE) but also a hotfix for MDAC 2.5 SP3 (MDAC253-KB927779-x86-ENU.exe). You need MDAC281-KB927779-x86-ENU.exe when slipstreaming MDAC 2.8 SP1.
Thanks, I'll swap those round tomorrow.

Thanks for taking the time to help me out, even though it seems that its my mistake. :blushing:

The syntax is the same, but what may be your problem is that Windows 2000 needs full paths at T-13 and T-12. This, for example, won't work:

REGEDIT /S myfile.reg

It should be done like this:

%SYSTEMROOT%\REGEDIT /S myfile.reg

Thanks Tomcat76, that good to know.

I've seen a few reports that the CMDLINES.TXT in Win2K can also use one command.

If thats true, it could have been causing me trouble too.

Anyway, by using the CMDLINES.TXT to start a .CMD that contains all my Users and Regs files, seems to be the way to go. And I'll make sure ALL the files have Full Paths too. ;)