Control Panel Shortcuts

iainstott

Hi, does any one know how to create shortcuts to the different parts of control panel, by that i mean like in the Personalise, you have screen resolution, wallpaper, screen saver themes etc, i know about creating a link to the corresponding .cpl, but there doesn't seem to be one for everythin, so i was just wondering if there were argument involved.

Many Thanks

Iain

Edited by iainstott

Ok worked it out but its not that fun.

Open up your desired control panel option, for this i'm using screen saver.

Then run taskmanager, right click on Screen Saver Settings (or whatever its called), right click then go to process,

For screen saver it came up as rundll32.exe

Then goto view, Select Columbs... Then scroll down and select Command Line (only needed the first time you do this obviosly)

Now go backto that rundll32.exe and go across to comandline value which is "C:\windows\system32\rundll32.exe"Shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL desk.cpl,ScreenSaver,@ScreenSaver for screen saver

You then need to copy it out exactly, i had the run dialog box open and typed it into there, you can now make a shortcut to it, but first

when you make the shortcut you have to remove the " by C:\ and after rundll32.exe and put a space inbetween rundll32.exe and shell32.dll

So the linke for the screen saver is C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe Shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL desk.cpl,ScreenSaver,@ScreenSaver

Hope this helps, i haven't tested it for any others but should work.

Thank you very much that is very handy, thank you for looking into it for me, but it only works for items it opens new windows for, if for example you click on desktop background, that opens in the same window, it still comes back with explorer.exe with no commandline.

Any one have any ideas???