intel quad core + memory but what speed?

eyeball

nice one thanks, and its cheaper!

i notice the fsb is only 1066 but so is the processor i am getting, im wondering if i should spend a little extra and get one that has 1333fsb just incase i ever want to upgrade the processor. What do you think?

Yes, you only need to update the BIOS.

In fact, the P5B Deluxe even supports these recently released processors:

• Core 2 Duo E6750 (2.66GHz,1333FSB,L2:4MB,rev.G0) since BIOS revision 1215
  • Core 2 Duo E6850 (3.00GHz,1333FSB,L2:4MB,rev.G0) since BIOS revision 1215
  • Core 2 Extreme QX6800 (2.93GHz,1066FSB,L2:2X4MB,rev.G0,4 cores) since BIOS revision 1210
  • Core 2 Extreme QX6850 (3.00GHz,1333FSB,L2:2X4MB,rev.G0,4 cores) since BIOS revision 1201

To see the complete list, take a look here: http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupp...SLanguage=en-us

Edited by jcarle

thanks guys but before i commit to buying it i have one more question... see this pic below

http://www.pcper.com/image.php?aid=297&img=board_big.jpg

1) why are 2 of the 6 sata ports black and the other 4 orange? any reason?

2) what is that sata port located near the back of the board for? the one labelled sata_raid

3) with the 6 ports can i raid them however i want such as 2 ports in a raid 0 and 4ports in a raid 5, or 3 raid 1 arrays ect ect?

thanks

1. The two black ports are "slave" ports designed to be used for optical SATA drives (DVD burners). You can, however use them for hard drives if you need to.

2. Intel doesn't include PATA (aka IDE) support in their southbridge chips anymore so motherboard manufacturers have to add one on in order to have a PATA port. Asus usually uses a controller from JMicron. The particular controller they use is a combination PATA/SATA RAID controller. The port that's seperated off from the rest of the SATA ports is one of the JMicron SATA ports. The other JMicron SATA port is added to the board in the form of an eSATA port.

3. Yes, but with Intel Matrix RAID you are limited to a maximum of four drives per array (so you can't have one large 6 drive RAID5 array). I would caution against using RAID5 from an onboard solution though. RAID5 requires a lot of overhead for calculating the parity data and since onboard solutions aren't full on hardware RAID solutions, it'll use the system CPU to calculate those values. If you want to do a four drive array, I'd recommend getting like four 500GB or 750GB drives and doing a RAID10 setup. See this thread for more information. If you have questions after reading that...ask away.

*looks in P5B Deluxe manual*

The black ports are set to "slave mode" when the ICH8R is running in IDE mode. When the ICH8R is running in ACHI or RAID mode, there is no difference between the ports. :)

The port located near the back of the board is for the JMicron SATA controller. That controller runs the port you found, as well as the eSATA port. You can even run RAID0 or RAID1 on those two, although the purpose of running RAID with an eSATA drive is beyond me... :unsure:

You can configure any combination of RAID that you want. :yes:

EDIT - Haha... memnoch and I post the same stuff... wicked.

The port located near the back of the board is for the JMicron SATA controller. That controller runs the port you found, as well as the eSATA port. You can even run RAID0 or RAID1 on those two, although the purpose of running RAID with an eSATA drive is beyond me... :unsure:
There actually is a purpose to that seemingly odd setup. On can setup a RAID 1 array using a fixed internal drive and an external eSATA drive. What that allows you to do is to use the drive partition for backup and walk away with the mirror copy which you can bring home.

iv finally had time to sit down and look for this board and it seems everywhere is either out of stock or does not stock it. Does anyone know if the P5b deluxe /Wifi is the same thing but only with onboard WLAN?

thanks

iv finally had time to sit down and look for this board and it seems everywhere is either out of stock or does not stock it. Does anyone know if the P5b deluxe /Wifi is the same thing but only with onboard WLAN?

thanks

Yup.