Windows 98 system shell replacement idea.

Sfor

I've encountered a BIG problem with Windows 95 explorer. I copied, then deleted a few thousand files. The files were deleted completely, without putting them to the recycle bin. The explorer was working as usual. But then I deleted a single file to the recycle bin. The explorer froze for good. It's quite possible this problem does not exists in the 98lite. But, it makes such an explorer replacement in an working system a bit useless.

So, back to the drawing boards.

LOL I was going to say congratulations--you've reinvented 98Lite... but there you go... and I don't think 98lite has that issue.

Now on the topic of shell replacememnts, have you ever heard of the "Revenge of Mozilla"? More info here....

As for real shell replacements, have you ever investigated LiteStep? One of the sites I used to go to often back in the day when I was able to get Win9x to install on more of my hardware was ShellFront, which has more information on LiteStep as well as many more other shells. Sadly the whole shell replacement scene never really managed to take off as well as it should have...

--iWindoze (hoping to have helped)

I replaced the explorer by a simple files replacement. I did not touched any registry settings, so it's quite possible the solution is somewhere there.

LiteStep looks like something very interesting. Unfortunately the site was not fully recovered after the HDD crash. So, I was unable to find out what language versions are available there.

---------------

I just took a look at the Revenge of Mozilla. Unfortunately it will work with English language windows versions, only. So, it is useless, to me.

Edited by Sfor

According to me (and not only, check out this article) SharpE is almost the best shell replacement for Windows (unfortunally just for 2K/XP).

SharpE-ThemeS.jpg

It would be great to have a 9x port for it (dunno if works with KernelEx) or, better, a C port (unfortunally is coded in Delphi).

HaPpY CoDiNg !!!

note: sorry for the image size, but i can't post the bigger one.... check the gallery !

Edited by patchworks

After playing a bit with Windows 98 and IE 6, I've started to consider switching to Windows 2000. Why?... Because it copies and deletes files without any additional effects (like desktop freezing, explorer locking and other system resources related problems).

Then I started to think about how to make the Windows 98 better. The conclusion is the worst components of the Windows 98 system are the system shell (explorer.exe) and the Internet Explorer.

But, it is possible to replace the system shell with any application. Well,... it is possible to do it, all right. But, it would be good to retain the system shell functionality, in the same time.

Writing a completely new system shell is a bit complicated task. Is there any replacement available, already?

... Here's one of the simplest shells I'm aware of, LiteShell:

http://www.labyrinth.net.au/~mosses/rob/liteshell.html

After playing a bit with Windows 98 and IE 6, I've started to consider switching to Windows 2000. Why?... Because it copies and deletes files without any additional effects (like desktop freezing, explorer locking and other system resources related problems).

Then I started to think about how to make the Windows 98 better. The conclusion is the worst components of the Windows 98 system are the system shell (explorer.exe) and the Internet Explorer.

But, it is possible to replace the system shell with any application. Well,... it is possible to do it, all right. But, it would be good to retain the system shell functionality, in the same time.

Writing a completely new system shell is a bit complicated task. Is there any replacement available, already?

Your problems may be because of DMA being disabled.

With Windows 98, DMA is disabled by default!

Edited by RJARRRPCGP

Your problems may be because of DMA being disabled.

With Windows 98, DMA is disabled by default!

No, It is not a DMA related problem, certainly. It happens on 3 different computers. Two of them do have a properly working Intel Application Accelerator driver installed.

I've been playing with LiteStep, and the freezing does not happen when LiteStep is the system shell. But, there is no Polish language version of the Litestep. It is possible to do some sort of a translation by yourself, however.

Edited by Sfor

Well. I played with Total Commander, lately. Looks like it does not use the Explorer for file operations. So, it is possible to evade the file operations related problems by using alternate file managers.

Sadly the Total Commander is not a free application. It does have a nagging start screen, as well. But, there could be other file managers.

Looks, like not all file managers are a solution. FreeCommander is using Explorer in file operations. So, there is no improvement, in it's casee.

Well. Not exactly. During my research I found out the LiteStep works quite good. There are no file operations related problems, then. But, not all themes are working with Windows 98.

I've been playing with the austerity theme. It works quite good, except for the "find" feature. It is possible to rearrange menu to be more like Windows 98 explorer. It is possible to translate it to other languages, as well. (I did not finished the translating to Polish, however).

LiteStep is a good solution, but the interface is quite different from the Explorer style.

With a fully operational Explorer like theme, LiteStep would be a very good solution.

Why I'm so much concerned about Explorer look and compatibility?

Well. People got used to the Explorer. It makes easier to switch between computers, if the user interface is similiar. If I am to change the shell of all computers under my management, I have to consider what users will say.

According to me (and not only, check out this article) SharpE is almost the best shell replacement for Windows (unfortunally just for 2K/XP).

~~Snip

It would be great to have a 9x port for it (dunno if works with KernelEx) or, better, a C port (unfortunally is coded in Delphi).

http://mechresource.myvnc.com/upload/sharpeon98.jpg

The SharpE shell works under win9x - I just tested CVS6 of it. However, it has many issues. Applications will often crash under GDI.EXE through SharpE. Then it will progressively cause more issues while trying to load other applications as it then starts dying under Kernel32.dll and user32.dll before finally giving up.

It worked fine for the first few minutes though. It might be issues in GDI.EXE causing the others to occur (possibly heavy resource leaks?). Additionally the default desktop icons such as my computer in it did not function right and so needed their targetnames changed.

edit: The issues stop once you disable SharpeTray and not use the 'SharpVol' plugin with SharpeBar. They seem to refresh at an incredibly fast rate which is overloading GDI.EXE and thus causing it to crash. Other oddities include needing to reload SharpMenu after changing a theme since it isn't automatically reloaded and using the commantline plugin in sharpebar cuts off the last letter from what you enter for some reason.

As an added bonus - the components that are used with it CAN be used without loading sharpe directly and so can be used as addon components overlaying the explorer desktop. From what it seems - the one component prone to causing issues is SharpeTray but it may not cause issues on other systems.

Edited by Chozo4

You could try this

I had the same problem with 98se crashing a lot. I have fixed it.

I have found out it maybe your display settings.

Try setting 800x600 (16bit) and

In Display properties Settings Advance use either Adapter Default or the lowest refresh rate (60 hz)

Edited by gpatrick

Guest mrznja

Clearly I remeber impact that windows 98 left on community. I was greatly inspired by 98lite that was replacing win98 shell with windows 95 and my effortless try to do so with win XP, still wondering is it possible!? At the time i was stuck with aston shell XP icon theme and was very happy about it. Anyways if you try using QEUMU it will be painfull expirience without KQEMU or QEMU Accelerator. And by the way is running windows on WM breaking EULA ?! :o)

Edited by mrznja

Well I don't think that it is well known if it is... Since many of these guys here have like 5+ VMs on their PCs :D like me... I don't think that there is a problem if you're using your genuine Windows... (I only say this when I have to :()

Clearly I remeber impact that windows 98 left on community. I was greatly inspired by 98lite that was replacing win98 shell with windows 95 and my effortless try to do so with win XP, still wondering is it possible!? At the time i was stuck with aston shell XP icon theme and was very happy about it. Anyways if you try using QEUMU it will be painfull expirience without KQEMU or QEMU Accelerator. And by the way is running windows on WM breaking EULA ?! :o)

98lite, 2000 & xp

http://www.litepc.com/

The newer version are more limited than the 98 version unless you buy the program.

98 also has a pro version. The 98 version also works with windows me.

Edited by gpatrick