Sync to Exchange on SBS 2003

swancd

Hi,

We have a SBS2003 server and a customer of ours would like to sync their mobile device with the exchange. During the setup it gives the error that there is no certificate installed.

I think we need to buy an SSL certificate from somewhere like godaddy.com. Is this the case or can we do something on the server that will be free.

On a simular point when we visit the http://servername/exchange we get a certificate error in Internet Explorer. We can however just click continue and it works fine.

Hope you can shed some light on the matter for me,

Thanks

Do I need to buy an SSL cert or does SBS2003 come with one that I can use?

SBS doesn't come with any - you either install Certificate Services on the SBS server and create your own (untrusted outside your domain) certificate, or purchase one from a vendor like Verisign or GoDaddy.

Do I need to install the cert the mobile device?
Yes.

Great. So if the mobile device is synced while in the office connected to the domain there is no cost involved?

Second question would be:

How do I create a certifiace once I have installed the certificate service?

Thanks for being patient!

Great. So if the mobile device is synced while in the office connected to the domain there is no cost involved?

if the mobile device is going to sync over the internet though, you will need a cert that is given by a third party that is trusted on the internet (versign go daddy etc) if it is going to be only devices snysing in the office you shouldn't need any certs to snyc a pda with exchange

Second question would be:

How do I create a certifiace once I have installed the certificate service?

Thanks for being patient!

Step-by-Step Guide to Deploying Windows Mobile-based Devices with Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 SP2