Problems installing 64-bit kernel patch protection update

MJMatthew

Has anyone managed to install KB932596 64-bit kernel patch protection update via Windows Update ? This was released 14th August. (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932596)

I am running an x64 vLite system.

Initially it downloads and installs okay, but when I restart Windows, it says Configuring Updates, but then it locks up. After a hard reset, Windows Vista rolls-back the update.

I have tried this several times but keep getting the same problem. All the other updates have installed fine.

Edited by MJMatthew

Okay, I've tried this again on a clean (original) installation, and I'm still getting similar problems installing the update.

It appears that the problem is with Microsoft and not vLite. So apologies for the false alarm, but I'd be interested to know if anyone else has problems installing this update. Thanks.

It installed fine for me.

However that IE cumulative is the only that failed to install for me. After checking the logs I think that keeping the App Experience will help, corrected in the next one if that is confirmed.

Yeah have the same problem. When the update (KB932596) is intergrated using vLite it gives me an error during install, along the lines of a component failing to instal and on the next boot up informs me that the OS should be reinstalled. Without the update using all the same settings as before the error does not occur.

Thanks for verifying. Can you confirm that it was this hotfix or did you integrate the others released on the 14 as well?

I had the other hotfixes released on August 14th integrated with vLite on both tries, without KB932596, I got no errors, with it I got the errors I already mentioned, so it looks like KB932596 is causing all the trouble.

haven't tried integrating this one (KB932596) yet, cause i can't afford to waste time setting everything up again right now, but it seems to be an MS problem, as i can't install it on any of my x64 Vista Ultimate installs, vlited or not.

Weird thing is that I can, as I already stated.

Haven't tried integration yet though.

On 32bit KB935807-v2-x86 failed on me. Reason - firewall removal, gonna see about bypassing that in next one, maybe keep a file or two.