Explorer Replacement (integrated)?

colore

Windows Desktop Search integrates pretty nicely with XP - more so than other search utilities IMO. Just be wary - I had troubles uninstalling it for some reason. I ended up having to create my own uninstaller from instructions on the web.

Google Desktop. It indexes every file on your computer when its not in use, so get fast results when actually searching for files.

Don't use google desktop. It slows your computer down and has many processes running that get in the way, and does weird things. I don't like it.

Turn off the Indexing Service for starters if you haven't already.

I would try Google Desktop as Zxian mentions because someone saying it is not good because of multiple processes isn't very valid, especially if you aren't as picky about things like that.

Turn off the Indexing Service for starters if you haven't already.

I would try Google Desktop as Zxian mentions because someone saying it is not good because of multiple processes isn't very valid, especially if you aren't as picky about things like that.

I didn't mention Google Desktop... I mentioned Windows Desktop Search. :P

I didn't mention Google Desktop... I mentioned Windows Desktop Search. :P

Whatever... lol.

I mentioned Google Desktop. And it is instant results, since it indexes when you have nothing really running in the background.

I would also mention Copernic Desktop search: http://www.copernic.com/en/products/deskto...arch/index.html Its also free.

I have a friend who is bad at organization and he liked both, but I haven't used either since I have very strict file structure on all my hard drives even with almost 2 terabytes of space. :sneaky:

I wouldn't recommend Google Desktop at all.

Google Desktop Security Search Results (how ironic is it that I used Google to search for that?)

Businesses have been warned by research company Gartner that the latest Google Desktop Beta has an "unacceptable security risk," and Google agrees.

On Feb. 9, Google unveiled Google Desktop 3, a free, downloadable program that includes an option to let users search across multiple computers for files. To do that, the application automatically stores copies of files, for up to a month, on Google servers. From there, copies are transferred to the user's other computers for archiving. The data is encrypted in transmission and while stored on Google servers.

The risk to enterprises, according to Gartner, lies in how this shared information is pooled by Google. The data is transferred to a remote server, where it is stored and can then be shared between users for up to 30 days.

Gartner said in a report on Thursday that the "mere transport (of data) outside the enterprise will represent an unacceptable security risk to many enterprises," as intellectual property could be transported out of the business.