Slipstreaming NIC drivers into WDS Boot file

All,

I have a question that im pretty sure someone here can answer.

I have WDS installed and running fine. I have captured my WINXP image, so that part is all good.

The one problem I can see happening, is that when you boot the PC to deploy the Image, it boots into the Windows PE environment and then you can choose the image to install. The problem arises when the the PE environment doesnt have the particular driver needed for the NIC in the PC.

I know you can import the drivers using peimg which I have done to get the VM image running, but what about all the hundreds of other NIC's out there. Is there an easy way of importing say the driverpacks nic pack ??, so they are all in there ?

cheers

hi,

you'll only need a network driver to connect to the "microsoft windows network" for mapping drives etc...

it's not needed for operating system deployment as it just uses the same protocols it used to boot from the network to transfer your install image.

use the \sources\boot.wim from a vista dvd as your boot image. this connects back the the wds server and lets you choose which install image to deploy.

if you do want to integrate the driverpacks, extract them and...

move all .inf files to (i386 or windows)\inf

move all .sys files to (i386 or windows)\system32\drivers

move all other files to (i386 or windows)\system32

hi,

you'll only need a network driver to connect to the "microsoft windows network" for mapping drives etc...

it's not needed for operating system deployment as it just uses the same protocols it used to boot from the network to transfer your install image.

use the \sources\boot.wim from a vista dvd as your boot image. this connects back the the wds server and lets you choose which install image to deploy.

if you do want to integrate the driverpacks, extract them and...

move all .inf files to (i386 or windows)\inf

move all .sys files to (i386 or windows)\system32\drivers

move all other files to (i386 or windows)\system32

Or if you created a WinPE 2.0 image using Windows Automated Installation Kit, you could also use

PEIMG /INF=inffile.inf mount\Windows

as described here

Or if you created a WinPE 2.0 image using Windows Automated Installation Kit, you could also use

PEIMG /INF=inffile.inf mount\Windows

as described here

...and as also described in doders' original post... lol

i integrated all the driver packs by using this batch file.

@echo off
for /R %%z in (*.inf) do peimg /inf="%%z" \winpe\mount
pause

just save it into your expanded drivers folder, change \winpe\mount to your mounted folder location, run it and put the kettle on...