Mount a network share in a directory?

mf_2

Here's another utility (now owned by Microsoft):

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysintern...k/Junction.mspx

Also...see the note on that page:

Note that Windows does not support junctions to directories on remote shares.

That's probably why your command wasn't working. You have to create the junction to a mapped drive. So you were doing this:

linkd D:\data \\myserver\globaldata

Where you should've mapped \\myserver\globaldata to a drive letter (such as G: for example) and used the following syntax:

linkd D:\data G:\

I tried "linkd D:\data G:\" after mapping the network share to G: and still the same error message appears.

@gunsmokingman: I'm not exactly sure on how the Scripting Guy link is supposed to help me. I read it twice but for some reason I fail to see how this solves my problem. Can you please explain it?

Try Winbolic Link. Their example specifically shows creating a link to a mapped network drive.

Just tried Winbolic Link. DOES NOT WORK. Their example is showing 3 links, One Junction Point in RED, and two Shortcuts in BLUE (they call it 'shell link'). So the link to the networked drive (E:\download\dropbox) is really a Shortcut. From their example, if you access the path C:\Local Computer\temp\dropbox, all you will get is a target.lnk file.

Further, their site says "Winbolic Link creates these links using only built-in functionality of Windows." As far as I know, if your Windows is using NTFS, there is NO native way to do this. It's how NTFS is designed (or rather lack off).

Edited by jmouse888