WDS mixed mode issues

valkenaer

Hopefully this is the right section to post; I'm a bit lost. I have configured Windows 2003 R2 with Windows Deployment Services in mixed mode. The legacy images (RIS) work fine when booting from PXE, no problem whatsoever. Now our company is slowly looking into deploying Vista with WDS (which is designed specifically for this task) and now it gets tricky.

As far as I know, the server side is setup as it should with one Window Vista PE (x86) boot image in place and one image group containing the install.wim Vista install image

In DHCP options, I've only made a change in option 67

DHCP 060 PXEClient

DHCP 066 10.31.2.9

DHCP 067 Boot\x86\wdsnbp.com (used to be "OSChooser\i386\bootrom.com" for RIS)

After booting a workstation from the NIC, the WDS bootfile is definitely doing something but all that happens is the following:

WDSNBP started using DHCP Referral.

Contacting Server: 10.31.2.9

Architecture: x64

TFTP Download: boot\x64\pxeboot.com

And the TFTP Download message repeats until I get a timeout.

I don't get it, what makes the new bootfile think the client workstation has a x64 environment? Has anyone seen this before? What can I do to resolve this?

I have experienced this same issue.

My question is if your DS runs DHCP or not.

I have this problem when the DHCP server is not the DS. If the DS runs DHCP, it all works properly and I can do a network service boot.

Unfortunately in my case, the network segment will not function properly if the DS runs DHCP. So I need to figure out how to resolve this as well.

My question is if your DS runs DHCP or not.

I have this problem when the DHCP server is not the DS. If the DS runs DHCP, it all works properly and I can do a network service boot.

Unfortunately in my case, the network segment will not function properly if the DS runs DHCP. So I need to figure out how to resolve this as well.

Our DS is currently not running DHCP, but due to server consolidation it will pretty soon. Also, our network guys have divided our corporate network into separate VLANs a year ago. Maybe this could have something to do with this current issue?

• 3 weeks later...
Hopefully this is the right section to post; I'm a bit lost. I have configured Windows 2003 R2 with Windows Deployment Services in mixed mode. The legacy images (RIS) work fine when booting from PXE, no problem whatsoever. Now our company is slowly looking into deploying Vista with WDS (which is designed specifically for this task) and now it gets tricky.

As far as I know, the server side is setup as it should with one Window Vista PE (x86) boot image in place and one image group containing the install.wim Vista install image

In DHCP options, I've only made a change in option 67

DHCP 060 PXEClient

DHCP 066 10.31.2.9

DHCP 067 Boot\x86\wdsnbp.com (used to be "OSChooser\i386\bootrom.com" for RIS)

After booting a workstation from the NIC, the WDS bootfile is definitely doing something but all that happens is the following:

WDSNBP started using DHCP Referral.

Architecture: x64

And the TFTP Download message repeats until I get a timeout.

I don't get it, what makes the new bootfile think the client workstation has a x64 environment? Has anyone seen this before? What can I do to resolve this?

pleases take a look at this post

http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/index.p...pic=198&hl=

I had the same issue yesterday with two WDS/BDD 2007 servers, and that is how I resolved that problem.

cheers

anyweb

have a read of this it may help. Its from the RSS fead below I found & its a MS guys reply to a similar problem.

If you have your DHCP and WDS on separate machines, you should not have to do anything special. WDS was designed to work in this scenario out of the box. In case you had changed the default settings around, please run the following commands from the command line. The MMC does not show the current values in the DHCP tab correctly, there is a known issue being tracked for this.

wdsutil /set-server /usedhcpports:yes

Make sure that the firewall if configured on the WDS Server is set to allow packets coming in on port 67, 68, 69 and 4011.

You do not have to configure option 66\67 or Option 60 on the DHCP Server in order to get this scenario to work. If you do have them configured please remove them. ( You need to have option 60 configured and usedhcpports set to no, if your dhcp server and wds server are running on the same machine ) .

If your client machines are on the same subnet as your DHCP \ WDS Servers, they will get answered fine. If they are not on the same subnet or if they go through a DHCP relay agent or a router, you need to update the IP helper tables to route the requests to include both the WDS Server and the DHCP Server. If you do not want to update the IP helper tables, then you can use option 66\67 on the DHCP Server to redirect clients to the WDS Server.

You can find more details regarding the various configurations in the WDS white paper at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=81031

http://forums.microsoft.com/technet/rss.as...1&siteid=17

Edited by chiners_68