Without a Gold source...

Kayra

Thanks for the reply. ^^

I seem to be stuck on another thing, its not showing all components availible for uninstallation. I did this earlier today, so I remember some distinct ones it dosen't show anymore.

Any suggestions?

yes nlite works find with all service packs.

Actually this is not 100% correct. I have noticed some very big issues for me between the way nlite works with some of the disc types. I was using a pre integrated SP2 disc and had many issues with apps not working the same and things missing that I never removed. I went back to a source I had integrated myself and everything was better. I also had a very large issue with wireless connection that I believe is tied directly to the source used with nlite. There is also a size difference between a xp sp2 that you integrate yourself and one done by microsoft. I believe this is one of the reasons for the issues with nlite.

@Kayra: Have you already removed those components or have you selected any compatibility options in nLite? They will hide some components to protect them from being removed.

I've also heard some recommendations to use a "gold source", but I've never had any problems using either SP1 or SP2 discs.

A disc with MS-integrated SP:s has fewer files, but you should expect MS to know how to make those discs correctly.

Just for the record, then WinXP SP2 is also a gold release, as the term simply refers to a final version and is the same as the term RTM(release to manufacturing).

The term gold refers to the master gold disc which is sent to disc manufacturers for mass-production of retail copies.

Just an FYI :)

@DL.

Indeed, mate :)

Btw, please don't think that i was trying to educate you about this, since i allready knew that you where perfectly aware of this, since you had added double-quotes around "gold source" in your post, to hint that it wasen't accurately used in that context, and so my explenation where rather directed towards the thread starter :)

CU, Martin.

@DL

I chose no compatibility options, so nothing is hidden. I went through this once before, to see if it could delete files without reinstalling windows, so things I previously deleted are gone (Games, windows Messenger...) I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling, but no solution so far. Thanks for all the help, everyone.

Personally, then i would recommend to always use an unmodified source so as to eliminate any possible problems that could arise, and then to of course load the 'Last Session.ini' from the previous session and make the needed changes. The nLite processing will take longer by doing this, but atleast i have never seen the problems which you describe, so for me it is defenetly worth the extra bit of time spent on making sure that as few things as possible has a chance of going wrong in the end.

Personally, then i do not even re-integrate an update pack(XUDPack) over the top of a previous version, and the first thing i always do before starting nLite, is to place a copy of my un-modified 'WinXP_Pro_SP2_Corp' folder on my 'D:\Temp\' folder, which i then point nLite to, later on.

For me, then starting fresh each time makes me feel the most secure and you can always just go take a nap or something for the extra bit of waiting time spend...

@Martin H: No problem man, I just provided some additional info on the subject to clarify it even more.

@Kayra:

No offence but I'm not quite sure what your problem really is (the one you mentioned in post #3). Can you please answer these questions; we may then be able to help you better:

1. You do know what nLite is for (removing components to create a new source, not uninstalling anything from your current installation)?

2. When uninstalling nLite, did you make sure the nLite folder and ALL files in it were removed (which is not always the case)?

3. You removed some components and finished the process, next time you did it some other components (ones you didn't select for removal last time) didn't show up in the list anymore?

Like Martin says, an unmodified source is recommended. Doing all separate tasks in nLite completely at once may also be better than doing them partly (=remove a few components, then removing some more next time from the same source). Always remember that the entire nLitening (modifying a Windows source) it is a complex process, so keeping it simple and doing it slowly and step by step will often result in fewer problems.