1.1beta Hotfix integration problem?

nrms

Just did a test and integrated 41 hotfixes into Vista Ultimate, and built an ISO. Didn't remove any components. Then I installed from the ISO into MS Virtual PC 2007. All went smoothly. Afterwards I ran Windows Update in the virtual vista image, it upgraded itself to Windows Update v7, and it told me there was only 1 update available (for defender) and a whole host of Ultimate Extras (language packs etc). All this was as I expected.

Very pleased, I went back to square one with a fresh Vista source image, and did exactly the same as before, but this time I removed a moderate amount of components (nothing much, language packs, Welcome Center & MSN Install).

But this time, after installing from the ISO and running the Windows Update, I was told there were 42 updates available. Some twenty of these were critical & recommended hotfixes which were supposedly already integrated into the Install image.

So what went wrong? Did I do something different or did removing some components break the hotfix slipstreaming?

Advice please?

NigelS

Also be sure that the Hotfix page was enabled and all your hotfixes on the list (sorted by the build date so that the oldest is on top).

I still haven't got that issue but I did hear from legolash2o about it during the testing. If you aborted vLite during integration that can happen, no other reasons are known yet.

might be useful to check the code nuhi to see if it closes the wim, or other files accessed during applying/rebuild to see if they close properly. I remember using the Exit button instead of the Finish after it was completed, also check the code when the user clicks yes if they decide to cancel you might have forgot to enter new code since integration. Just a thought, better safe than sorry (Checking i mean)

Liam

Edited by legolash2o

I should add that between the two runs (successful & unsuccesful) I deleted all the last_session files, and reimported a fresh source of Vista files from my RTM Vista DVD. Thus ensuring I was starting from the same place each time.

Also, I watched whilst the hotfix integration was taking place, so I know that page was enabled, also the hotfixes were ordered with oldest first in list on both build attempts.

NigelS

Edited by nrms

If there is a hotfix installation still pending, either though WU on the host system or an aborted integration into a mounted wim, then most attempts to integrate further hotfixes will fail. Therefore, it is recommended to reboot before integrating in this case.

Perhaps there is some way for vLite to detect when there is a pending hotfix and then recommend a reboot?

@nuhi: Does vLite not alert the user when a hotfix fails? If not then it might help to know that pkgmgr returns a non-zero errorlevel if the hotfix failed.