Setting Languages & keyboard

one of my pet hates with microsoft is the fact you cannot easily set an unattended file to install XP,Vista or any of its products to UK English. When you set what you think will do this it always put the US keyboard as a second option. i dont want US keyboard as a second option so why do they force it on us.

Previously on XP I used this reg key at T-12mins during the install to modify the HKCU key before any accounts had been created which then got rid of this US keyboard for all users. Im going to try the same with vista but Im sure it wont be that easy.

Key at T-12 on XP to remove US keyboard as second option.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Keyboard Layout\Preload]

"2"=-

anyone done similar with vista to save me time getting this to work..?

I know the reg key above removes the US keyboard when I run it under a user account but I cannot gt it to apply to the default user profile at T-12 like I do in XP.

i have tried to get it to work under Audit uer but it didnt work.

i put it in as an syncronus command

reg delete HCKU\Keyboard Layout\Preload /v 2

Edited by chiners_68

In audit user mode I got it almost to work with cmd /c in front. So in your case it should look like this:

cmd /c reg delete HCKU\Keyboard Layout\Preload /v 2

Try out and see, if it's working. And if you want to set it to the default user profile, than you need to follow the copy profile guide in addition.

Martin

So far ive done a manual install & set the keyboard etc how i wanted it. When I run sysprep with generalize it puts back this bloody US keyboard. Im running the key mentioned above in my sysprep but no accounts are having the US keyboard removed.

XP Sysprep never restored the US keyboard so once it was removed on the install sysprep was ok. Vista seems to be a right pain in the butt with regard to sysprep.

Also, I have got my domain set to join but with no credentials. ive done this so it prompts for the credential during mini setup but vista sysprep just dosent ask & carries on not joining a domain. i done this with XP & it worked OK.

Yipppppeeeeee

Ive solved sysprep putting back in the US keyboard etc during the automated minisetup.

I steared clear of what the documentation said about putting ie en-US for the languages & put in what I had in my old XP sysprep.inf the country code for UK ie 000809. This should work for any of you out there who are having similar problems with other conuntry codes.

here is my sysprep.xml with the lines so you can see.

<component name="Microsoft-Windows-International-Core" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
<UserLocale>00000809</UserLocale>
<UILanguageFallback></UILanguageFallback>
<UILanguage>00000809</UILanguage>
<InputLocale>0809:00000809</InputLocale>
<SystemLocale>00000809</SystemLocale>
</component>

havent tried it on Autounattended.xml yet. it didnt work on XP unattended so i dont expect this to work on Vista unattended install. only worked with sysprep on XP. Worth a try for anyone in a possision to test.

• 2 months later...
Yipppppeeeeee

Ive solved sysprep putting back in the US keyboard etc during the automated minisetup.

I steared clear of what the documentation said about putting ie en-US for the languages & put in what I had in my old XP sysprep.inf the country code for UK ie 000809. This should work for any of you out there who are having similar problems with other conuntry codes.

here is my sysprep.xml with the lines so you can see.

<component name="Microsoft-Windows-International-Core" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
<UserLocale>00000809</UserLocale>
<UILanguageFallback></UILanguageFallback>
<UILanguage>00000809</UILanguage>
<InputLocale>0809:00000809</InputLocale>
<SystemLocale>00000809</SystemLocale>
</component>

havent tried it on Autounattended.xml yet. it didnt work on XP unattended so i dont expect this to work on Vista unattended install. only worked with sysprep on XP. Worth a try for anyone in a possision to test.

has anyone tested this on vista?

im having problems with the language selection at the start of the WinPE seutp.