the REAL xp-sp3 pre-beta (private)

prathapml

Ok, so finally the REAL service-pack 3 for WinXP (32-bit) shows signs of appearing, and its been only 3 years since SP2, wow! :wacko:

Its not a hoax, is about ~300+ MB, and reports say that it is pretty stable.

Over 900 fixes, WMP is still v9, and IE6sp3 is included.

It could be called a pre-beta, and is at build 3180 at the moment.

And no, providing links would mean warez, but this news was posted here for the sake of those who want to know.

Edited by prathapml

does this mean RyanVM wont need to worry that much over the update pack anymore?

Since this package bridges the gap between SP2 & now, and SP3 should be out in a few more months with (most probably) leaks of new builds all along the way.... With an official pack available, keeping up with making the unofficial one would mean quite some redundant effort, which might be used elsewhere? :yes:

Oh, and slip-streamable it surely is. That primarily is one reason I like service packs, for the clean integration.

Same old switches too - extract using /x or winrar, then run "update /integrate:<path>"

Preferably slipstream onto an RTM disc instead of a disc that already has SP2.

Edited by prathapml

Does anyone know what patches and hotfixes are included in this pre-beta? Is there anywhere we can go to find out? I'd like to know if KB921883 is included, and what the latest security updates for IE6 and OE6 are included. I already know that SP3 (at least at this stage) does not include IE7 in the package. Thanks

As it stands it really just looks like a collection of hotfixes.

Freshly installed XP, installed SP2 as I had problems reading my SD card without it (where I stored SP3), then installed SP3 on top. Went to Windows update and collectively had 3 optional updates to do after installation. .NET 1.1, .NET 1.1 SP1 and .NET 2.0.

Nothing majorly new - but big disappointment not to see WMP11 or IE7. Maybe in the final we will?

Edited by Biohead

has MSFT ever distro'd new drivers in a service pack??

Yes. A good example of that is SP1 vs SP2 in regards to USB 2.0 support and HDAA (High Definition Audio Architecture) support.