OEM Preinstall of XP

quick quesiton, u know how when u buy a new computer, and turn it on it goes to that screen automaticly where u create ur username, setup network stuff and junk. is that possible to do with an unattended setup? right now what happens is it installs windows and restarts then goes to that screen to create the username but i wanna beable to shutdown the computer, ship it to someone, have them turn it on, and have them see that screen.

quick quesiton, u know how when u buy a new computer, and turn it on it goes to that screen automaticly where u create ur username, setup network stuff and junk. is that possible to do with an unattended setup? right now what happens is it installs windows and restarts then goes to that screen to create the username but i wanna beable to shutdown the computer, ship it to someone, have them turn it on, and have them see that screen.

You need to do a sysprep -reseal of that machine

ok so i just use the sysprep tool for that, doesnt matter how i installed windows and such? because i was looking at your guide and stuff, but i prefer the method i install applications and of XP.

will resealing it delete all user accounts created and stuff?

edit: would this work:

To manually restore the computer to an end–user–ready state with Sysprep:

Click Start, click Run, and then type: cmd

At the command prompt, change to the root of the system drive (%systemdrive%), and then type: md sysprep

From the \Support\Tools\Deploy.cab file of the Windows XP product CD, copy Sysprep.exe and Setupcl.exe to the Sysprep folder you created.

Remove the operating–system CD.

At the command prompt, change to the Sysprep folder, and then type: sysprep –nosidgen with the parameters you select.

The computer will shut down automatically if it is ACPI–compatible. If it is not ACPI–compatible, a message appears telling you to shut down the computer when the process completes.

^OK THAT METHOD WORKED, but is there a way to NOT make it ask for the cdkey again? and delete all user accounts

Edited by hvtopiwala

ok so i just use the sysprep tool for that, doesnt matter how i installed windows and such? because i was looking at your guide and stuff, but i prefer the method i install applications and of XP.

will resealing it delete all user accounts created and stuff?

edit: would this work:

To manually restore the computer to an end–user–ready state with Sysprep:

Click Start, click Run, and then type: cmd

At the command prompt, change to the root of the system drive (%systemdrive%), and then type: md sysprep

From the \Support\Tools\Deploy.cab file of the Windows XP product CD, copy Sysprep.exe and Setupcl.exe to the Sysprep folder you created.

Remove the operating–system CD.

At the command prompt, change to the Sysprep folder, and then type: sysprep –nosidgen with the parameters you select.

The computer will shut down automatically if it is ACPI–compatible. If it is not ACPI–compatible, a message appears telling you to shut down the computer when the process completes.

^OK THAT METHOD WORKED, but is there a way to NOT make it ask for the cdkey again? and delete all user accounts

You should run the setupmgr to make a simple sysprep.inf file that contains the product key. Before running sysprep you should use the User Hive Cleanup Tool and maybe delete manually the accounts you don't want, from Documents and Settings

IIRC, if you do not to extensive configuration, sysprep will blow away all accounts on the machine, as well as regen your SID unless you tell it otherwise. You may also encounter drivers that need to be reinstalled after you go through the welcome screen.

ok and where do i place that sysprep file that i create?

The default location for sysprep.inf is C:\sysprep; setupmgr creates it in the current folder by default.

its there but its still not using the product key and stuff, keeps asking for it. what is wrong?