Disable auto update in adobe reader 8.0

mumuuu

HI everybody :hello: ,

I'm working on few update for my company....and adobe acrobat reader 8.0 is in the list.

The fact is that i want to disable auto update with a batch / reg Key / or other solution.

I did all option in acrobat reader 8 but looks like they don't put an option for auto update.

maybe there is no auto update but this looks strange regardeing older version.

If some one have a solution i will apreciate.

Thanks by advance

hi geezery,

Thanks for your tip, looks like a good solution but if i'm right i can't use it because i'm using landesk, and to deploy update i'm using the security and patch manager which don't allow me to customize the package....

i know it's a little bite strange but i have to use the standard package provide by landesk, and all opérations to customize have to be done after setup...... :wacko:

i find with filemon and regmon that when i'm running the preference tool for adobe update, the software is righting directly in the user local setings/application data/adobe/updater5in different files.

I will try to customize this.

in parralel work i'll try to customize the package if it's possible as you told me.

thanks for your answer.

HI ALL

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I Found my solution !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

so in fact with filemon i saw something.

When you deactivate autoupdate adobe is changing a file call : Adobeupdaterprefs.dat.

which is located in %userprofile%\Local settings\Application Data\Adobe\updater5.

Then you have to change variables in file like this :

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<AdobeUpdater>
<logFile[b]>[u]%userprofile%[/u][/b]\Local Settings\Application Data\Adobe\Updater5\aum.log</logFile>
<logLevel>2</logLevel>
<DisplayLang></DisplayLang>
<SilentCheck>0</SilentCheck>
<ConnectionType>0</ConnectionType>
<Launch></Launch>
<IsFirstRun>0</IsFirstRun>
<InTrayIcon>0</InTrayIcon>
<LastDateCheck>2007-08-07</LastDateCheck>
<InBackground>0</InBackground>
<DownloadDir[u]>[b]%userprofile%[/b][/u]\Local Settings\Application Data\Adobe\Updater5\Install</DownloadDir>
<ShowNewProducts>0</ShowNewProducts>
<AutoCheck>0</AutoCheck>
<AutoCheckType>0</AutoCheckType>
<AutoCheckFreq>1</AutoCheckFreq>
<ApplicationsEnabled>
<MapPrefEntry MapPrefKey="reader8rdr-en_US">0</MapPrefEntry>
</ApplicationsEnabled>
</AdobeUpdater>

Edit script like this, in fact i change what i put in Big caracter with line (=> %userprofile%) to allow deploying on multiple computers.

create a script to deploy your modify file to other computer and you are done .

:thumbup:thumbup:thumbup

There is a way to disable auto updates by running Check for Updates under the help menu. Let the updater check for updates. The window that comes up showing available updates has a Preferences link under which is a check box to disable autoupdate checks. BUT, unchecking this box only seems to disable the autoupdater when the Adobe reader is invoked with a shortcut. When my browser invokes the reader, the updater tries to connect. Anyone have any idea why invoking from a browser makes a difference? FIWI, my AdobeUpdaterPrefs.dat has Autocheck set to 0.

BrianG

i know i can use the help button in adobe but i don't want to do this cause i'm using this to deploy software to 800 Computers and i don't want user to touch anything so like this i'm sure there is no autoupdate by default when landesk is upgrading automaticly the software.

and at each session i'm checking and pushing if the file is not corectly set in the userprofile folder/..../.......

When explorer is invoking the reader i didn't see this for the momment i have to try.

Please check with filemon and regmon what is called and what is SET or WRITE.

See you

UPDATE POST / UPDATE POST => I just check the File in question at the end of the file you have a line for APPLICATIONS ENABLED

try to edit it like this :

<ApplicationsEnabled>

<MapPrefEntry MapPrefKey="reader8rdr-en_US">0</MapPrefEntry>

</ApplicationsEnabled>

</AdobeUpdater>

Change the value for you reader in questiojn here reader 8 set to "0" to disable it.

keep me in touch

Thx by advance

Edited by mumuuu

hey BrainG looks like i found something for you on Adobe forum....... for me it's not a solution for a company but maybe for a user @ home could be good.

here is the post i saw:

eric003 - 7:00pm Aug 8, 07 PST (#10 of 10)

Changing this (either by directly editing the file or by setting the preference in the Adobe Updater) does not work. The Adobe Updater is persistent.

I know because ZoneAlarm caught the Updater today sneaking to access the internet simply because I accessed a PDF file. AutoCheck was indeed disabled over a week ago.

My workaround:

Go to Program Files->Adobe->Reader 8.0->Reader

Rename the following files:

AdobeUpdateCheck.exe -> AdobeUpdateCheck.exe.foo

AdobeUpdater.dll -> AdobeUpdater.dll.foo

Changing the MapPrefEntry setting to 0 in Adobeupdaterprefs.dat seems to have worked in stopping the updater when the reader is invoked by the browser.

So does renaming AdobeUpdateCheck.exe and AdobeUpdater.dll which is my preferred solution as it leaves a visual reminder of how the updater was disabled.

Thanks!