Does this "fit anywhere else"? After an OS reinstall comes

Recently (4 months ago) jumped over to Vista (Ultimate), and have had lots of fun and surprises, predominantly pleasant. Installing the OS (or formatting & re-installing) is easier & faster than any previous OS. With a few tweaks, it works with all my software and hardware.

I recently did my second full re-install (format, etc) and realized that even with being prepared with external backups (full; compressed; image; every kind possible), it's still a huge pain in the butt for me. Re-installing all those Dell driver updates, programs, utilities, etc. takes days & days, and I suspect I'm doing something wrong: not prepared enough, somehow. You know? that feeling of "there's got to be a better way!" ????

So I'm searching the forums like this one (and about 2 dozen others I belong to) for some kind of simplification hints or instructions regarding this process. (btw, photos, music etc are not the problem; that's the easy part)

Anyone know of where to point me??

for example, you want to back up everything, just in case, but you DON'T want to reinstall a lot of junk you don't need, or worse: reinstall some problem/headache like corrupt drivers or even a virus. So what's the balance? and how can you do this with least headaches and without taking a piece of your life in the process?

I have used many backup programs, all of them have strenghts & weaknesses, none seem to feel quite right. everything from Windows backup to Retrospect to BounceBack to the latest one, Windows Live OneCare backup. And many others in between.

No problem restoring photos, music, videos and documents, but it gets trickier with MS Outlook files, printers, camera software, etc.

Does anyone out there have a nice, organized routine for total re-installs? (I don't mean automated, just a logical easy routine that puts all the stuff you need in one place maybe.)

It would be nice to see something like this on a forum such as this one. I'm sure I'm not the only one who likes to do complete reinstalls at least a couple of times a year; yet it literally takes at least three complete days of my time to accomplish this, namely getting my computer back to where it was before, only better (cleaner).

Thanks everyone. hope to hear from you if you've found a way to make this task a little easier and/or faster.

Rick, the mexicorider.

Bigmutt

thats my thing too but i reinstall a lot more frequent than you. I have a Dell but I don't go to length to install their packages since they throw stuff all over the place. I instead capture drivers and stuff with Driver Genius or another program. Some of their stuff can be installed with switches though.

Have a separate drive and folder with all my 'APPS' I may be installing and I get curent registry file and folder settings and update both my Dvd root and the separate backup 'APPS' folder location.

I can have an image complete and ready to burn in about an hour

but i been doing this awhile ;)

Edited by maxXPsoft