Srv2k3 sound adjust annoyance

Burke

Hi all.

A bit of a weird problem I. I have succesfully installed both w2k, xp etc. several times on a great number of oem machines. This includes server as well as home, pro etc. Also installed wSrv2k3 as servers without a hassle using unattended. So no problems there. But, I recently setup a test computer on a laptop in order to test out R2 and a few installation scripts. I got carried away and tried the WorkStation conversion. So far no problems except one small annoying one.

Whenever I try to adjust the sound (volume) I hear a beep. This comes up all the time. I have tried to check the services, registry, compare with the registry dump of XP etc. but so far I cannot seem to find a way to get rid of this sound (or error). I have never ever experienced anything like this on any other installation regardless of OS.

NOTE: The sound works otherwise fine for regular music cd's. Other windows sounds, such as Windows Startup works fine as well. So sound works.

SOUND DESCRIPTION: The error sound is similar to that of a stationary computer (desktop) with no soundcard installed using the internal sound speaker to announce errors.

It sure puzzles me, and I must say that even this is perhaps not a problem I would get paid to solve, I indeed want to solve this one. Call it a fight between man and machine if you please. Man over machine.

Any and all help would be greatly apprecitated. Thanks.

Edited by Burke

Maybe I should add, that this phenomenon only happens, when I use the mouse for moving the volume bar. If I click above the bar or below the bar to move it in steps, I get the "error"-like sound every time. Other means of adjusting the sound works as would be expected.

Hi fizban2

Thank you so much. That did it.

A thought please. I checked XP, 2k etc. and I can see, that this device is by default enabled in all of them. It seems to be a system device enabled at startup. Do you have any idea to why this function has this exact effect only on the Srv2k3 and not any other of the windows OS? Thanks again for your insight.