vLite 1.1 beta - vBloat

nuhi

*Possible Bug with Hotfix Integration*

Hi there,

i've installed a vlited english Ultimate x64 and found some errors with the integrated hotfixes.

First, the integrated hotfixes don't show up in the windows update history (dunno if it's possible to let them show up there, just noticed it).

Second, and far worse, it seems that many updates haven't been installed at all as the version numbers of various system files lag behind the version numbers Microsoft is posting in their knowledge base. For example, KB938979 should update shell32.dll to 6.0.6000.20628 while my shell32.dll still is 6.0.6000.16513.

And finally, when i try to manually install any of the downloaded msu files, i get the error message that "the update isn't valid for your system" (translated from german).

The vLite settings were no components removed, German MUI and NV & Intel Sata Raid drivers integrated, UAC and hibernation disabled, show hidden files enabled and a predefined timezone. The Image was created with the option to just apply the changes without rebuilt.

Edited by km52

1 - First, the integrated hotfixes don't show up in the windows update history (dunno if it's possible to let them show up there, just noticed it).

Go to the Control Panel\Programs and Features > the upper left corner: View Installed Updates. Does it show up?? It must list all the hotfixes installed!

2 - Second, and far worse, it seems that many updates haven't been installed at all as the version numbers of various system files lag behind the version numbers Microsoft is posting in their knowledge base. For example, KB938979 should update shell32.dll to 6.0.6000.20628 while my shell32.dll still is 6.0.6000.16513.

I've seen this too, I have integrated many updates but some were not integrated by vLite. I think it’s because of the components I have removed that are linked with the updates.

May be nuhi can confirm this?? :huh:

3 - And finally, when i try to manually install any of the downloaded msu files, i get the error message that "the update isn't valid for your system" (translated from german).

Change all your regional settings and languages to ENGLISH US and then try again.

Slippedstreamed hotfixes won't show in the hotfix history as they are applied before Windows is installed. This always used to be the case anyway.

Not all hotfixes apply to all systems. That's why you get the message that it couldn't be updated.

You are using the x64 hotfixes right?

I recommend you try to find a hotfix that applies to your system (by successfully manually installing it first) then try to apply it in vLite. Check version numbers both times just to make sure.

Change all your regional settings and languages to ENGLISH US and then try again

Why?

Another option with hotfixes is AutoPatcher as I've recently discovered. It contains all hotfixes for all versions of Windows. This software will tell you which hotfixes apply to you. You can then either grab them from the install folder and put them in vLite or use AutoPatcher to slipstream them (although the slipstream feature is not currently working but I'm bugging them about that!)

Edited by Dobby

*Possible Bug with Hotfix Integration*

Second, and far worse, it seems that many updates haven't been installed at all as the version numbers of various system files lag behind the version numbers Microsoft is posting in their knowledge base. For example, KB938979 should update shell32.dll to 6.0.6000.20628 while my shell32.dll still is 6.0.6000.16513.

no bug. You got the GDR version of the fix (16xxx). You can only get the QFE Version (20xxx) if you have already integrated a QFE Update for the file.

Slippedstreamed hotfixes won't show in the hotfix history as they are applied before

Windows is installed. This always used to be the case anyway.

Change all your regional settings and languages to ENGLISH US and then try again

Why?

Another option with hotfixes is AutoPatcher as I've recently discovered. It contains all hotfixes for all versions of Windows. This software will tell you which hotfixes apply to you. You can then either grab them from the install folder and put them in vLite or use AutoPatcher to slipstream them (although the slipstream feature is not currently working but I'm bugging them about that!)

Huh :blink: , all the hotfixes that I have integrated with vlite appear for me in the Integrated Updates history option in control panel!

Is it because it’s Vista x86??

Because some guys were having problems with some updates getting the error message that "the update isn't valid for your system” etc

The workaround is to temporarily change regional and language settings to English US then applying again, then back to your foreign language.

This also applies for the leaked SP1. :ph34r:

Btw Autopatcher is dead! :realmad::no:

First time trying vLite since 0.9 beta...it is incredible how much space you save just by removing those unnecessary components; I only removed most languages, drivers, tablet pc support and maybe a few other things and Vista only took up a little over 4 GB on my hard disk, rather than the 13 GB it does by default.

Absolutely impressive.

Go to the Control Panel\Programs and Features > the upper left corner: View Installed Updates. Does it show up??

No.

Change all your regional settings and languages to ENGLISH US and then try again.up??

That doesn't work.

You are using the x64 hotfixes right?

I'm trying to manually install the same msu files that are integrated into the dvd.

no bug. You got the GDR version of the fix (16xxx). You can only get the QFE Version (20xxx) if you have already integrated a QFE Update for the file.

So, if i got you right, vLite integrates the fixes without taking care of the correct install order, that's why some updates get applied and others don't? My msu folder contains 57 items at 148 mb size, so i don't think i missed a required update for the Perf. & Reliability Update.

Edited by km52

• 2 weeks later...
I am planning a format in an week.

Is there going to be a new vlite soon, so that i better wait. Or should i go ahead?

Hi Alsiladka, happy to meet you here too :D

You are planning the format due to your returned laptop I guess ;)

Hello provolino,

nice to see you too!!

Well ya, dunno why but i feel it is working slowly since the time it came back. Feel like formatting it once, as if dont feel like so once a month!!

So just popped in to see if there is a new version for which i should wait, or go ahead with 1.1 beta.

• 2 weeks later...