mixed or lower case Windows install folder

Is it possible to install Windows to a folder named "Windows" rather than "WINDOWS"?

None of the install methods I have tried so far have yielded a mixed-case install folder.

I can rename the folder after the install by booting with a BartPE disk but that still leaves %SystemRoot% set to x:\WINDOWS!

Alternately, is there a way to adjust the SystemRoot variable? I already tried changing

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SystemRoot

but it keeps getting reset on reboot.

I realize this is a completely aesthetic/cosmetic issue but that all-caps folder just annoys me :)

Thanks for any help.

Well, I was able to adjust the SystemRoot key/variable to C:\Windows (rather than C:\WINDOWS) by editing the boot.ini file:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\Windows="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

So I guess this is where the SystemRoot key is set from.

It would still be nice to know if it is possible to create a mixed case install folder from the get go but this does satisfy my aesthetic needs :)

Edited by FrizzleFry

i've been trying to do this for some time (glad i'm not the only one to be honest)

setting a mixed case value in winnt.sif [unattended] TargetPath= always produces a version in capitals

Edited by Peteski