• Windows Picture and Fax Viewer (XP)
    • Windows Photo Viewer (Vista)
    • ACDSee
    • FastStone
    • IrfanView
    • Picasa
    • XnView
    • Other

I am curious what image viewer software people are using. :)

I was using the default 'Windows Picture and Fax Viewer' for XP until a few days ago when I switched to XnView. What prompted me to switch was trying to find a replacement for the new Photo Viewer for Vista because it was slow, did not support animated gifs, and consumed a lot of space on the screen.

I use ACDsee 5, and Picaview, on XP SP1.

They are so handy, especially picaview, it can play video, (not everything), and sound, and gives you thumbnails in right click.

Anyone know if it works in SP2, or Vista?? Not changing to Vista, but might go to SP2.

Added Picasa as a poll option and made the poll multiple choice. Also I guess I cannot vote (for XnView) since I created the poll. Btw I am using the minimal version with the Mezich skin. Options: dont show tab bar when only one tab, arrow keys for navigation, associations. I like it because its free/opensource, updated often, renders fast, zooms with the mouse wheel, and more. :)

I just use the built in Picture and Fax Viewer in XP. It's simple, quick, and does exactly what the name says. I have used Picasa before, but I usually just make a new folder every time I download pictures from my camera and date the folder with something like the following:

2007-08-04 - MSFN Example Pictures

That way, everything's cronologically ordered, and it has a simple description along with it. :)

I personally just use XP's own 'Windows Picture and Fax Viever', which i like because it simply does what it does, period(i.e. to show pictures and nothing else) and isn't overly complex and filled with options i have no use for. I kinda feel the same way about that, as i feel about notepad.exe, which i also dosen't replace with something more advanced. I have previously thought about removing the built-in tool with nLite and to instead install a free alternative like IrfanView, but i figured that i didn't have any use for all those extra features at all, and that if i would switch to something else, then i would go from a single 428KB registered dll to a several MB package instead and when you then think about that i only use it to load pictures at occasions and dosen't do any editing or converting or anything like that, then i figured that i would just stick with the built-in tool afterall.

Granted, for ppl that have bigger needs than myself, then i can easilly see how something like IrfanView makes perfect sence :)

But just not for me...

Anyway, that was just my two cents :)