PE 2.0 Boot Screen

egorss78

• 3 months later...

It should be pretty similar to Win PE 2.x. The main differences between that and 3 are more back-end stuff.

I have tried the procedure for WinPE 3.0 and the location of the message starts at a different place, but I edited it with the same rules. The only problem I have is with the PE Checksum tool. When trying to write the New Value it comes up with an error: Error writing new Checksum GetLastError() returned 32.

Ever see that happen?

• 1 year later...

To,

zorphnog & other members,

I have tried to modify the "Windows is loading files..." text in NTI Backup now recovery disc(iso) with the help of zorphnog's post.

I have done the following :-

1. Extracted BOOT.WIM from the ISO file.

2. Checked the locale of the extracted bcd file with

bcdedit /store bcd  /enum

, which was en-US.

3. Mounted the BOOT.WIM with IMAGEX tool in RW mode to edit the WIM file.

( I think it is a windows vista version BOOT.WIM file,coz the ISO shows the windows vista boot screen when it is booted... )

4. Edited the BOOT.WIM{mounted}\Windows\Boot\PCAT\en-US\bootmgr.exe.mui using HEX editor & PE checksum successfully, as described in the zorphnog's post.

5. Unmounted and saved the BOOT.WIM with the new bootmgr.exe.mui file.

6. Replaced the edited BOOT.WIM with the original BOOT.WIM in the ISO file.

7. Added {ISO}\BOOT\en-US\bootmgr.exe.mui from the edited "bootmgr.exe.mui" file, as the {ISO}\BOOT\en-US\bootmgr.exe.mui was not present by default in the ISO file.

8. BOOTED the New ISO image in vm player.

~~~~~ RESULT ~~~~~

Booted successfully with "Windows is loading files..." message instead of the expected new message !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????????????????

NO CHANGE IN THE "Windows is loading files..." MESSAGE..... :no::realmad: :realmad: :realmad:

Please help.......

sorry for my COLOURFUL post....

4. Edited the BOOT.WIM{mounted}\Windows\Boot\PCAT\en-US\bootmgr.exe.mui using HEX editor & PE checksum successfully, as described in the zorphnog's post.

7. Added {ISO}\BOOT\en-US\bootmgr.exe.mui from the edited "bootmgr.exe.mui" file, as the {ISO}\BOOT\en-US\bootmgr.exe.mui was not present by default in the ISO file.

Perhaps I am not reading your post correctly, but Zorphnog's instructions say to:

1. Mount boot.wim

2. Copy %imageroot%\Windows\Boot\PCAT\en-US\bootmgr.exe.mui to ISO\boot\en-US\bootmgr.exe.mui, noting that the new location does not have this file already.

3. Edit the newly copied file (not the original)

What kind of security is in boot-mgr in Win7? What happens when I change the boot-screen on a separate partition using sysprep? then I use imagex to create install.wim then copy that to another partition that the DVD setup files on it! when I run it in a vm I get the old boot-screen. Why? John :thumbup:whistle:

• 7 months later...

laddanator, I did a search with Agent Ransack and found "Windows is loading files" (unicode) in two files - bootmgr.efi and bootx64.efi. I opened both in a resource editor and found the message in both. Strangely in both it started at 10E7E. I suggest you use a resource editor with the capability to rebuild the checksums and modify the message. I suspect if you stay with the same length, then you will be OK.

EDIT: I should have said that I did not find "Windows is loading files" in the 32 bit WinPE.

EDIT: Those identical addresses above must be relative. I opened the files in a hex editor and the sentence is at different addresses in the two files. It is in the BOOTMGR.XSL section of the resource editors.

Edited by johnhc

@laddanator

Do you have a screenshot of what it looks like, the stuff you want to tweak? Is it efi system or not?

Btw, it's probably about time to start a new thread, and request help for a very specific challenge..

@laddanator

Do you have a screenshot of what it looks like, the stuff you want to tweak? Is it efi system or not?

Btw, it's probably about time to start a new thread, and request help for a very specific challenge..

I am using a custom build Win7PE SE and would like to change the Message of "Windows is loading files.." To a custom message Like "Loading Win7PE SE.."

laddanator, if your WinPE is 64 bit use the method I showed above. If 32 bit, sorry I don't have an answer. Please tell us more about what you are using - 32/64 bit, EFI or not (joakim's question), WinPE version, etc? Enjoy, John.

laddanator, if your WinPE is 64 bit use the method I showed above. If 32 bit, sorry I don't have an answer. Please tell us more about what you are using - 32/64 bit, EFI or not (joakim's question), WinPE version, etc? Enjoy, John.

Using 32 bit created with ChrisR Winbuilder 082. Not sure what you mean by EFI? Thanks for your help on this matter by the way. :thumbup

I also have hex searched every bootmgr file I could find and could not find the Loading file message.

Edited by laddanator

laddanator, I cannot find the message in the whole 32 bit WinPE folder. Using the hex editor fails also. In the 64 bit version it is quite visible, although I found a web page that said changing it did not change the message displayed. Right now I am at a loss. I hope someone sees this and helps. EFI is referring to Unified Extensible Firmware Interface. In WinPE 3, it only applies to 64 bit versions. If I learn anything new I will post. As suggested above, perhaps you should open a fresh thread. Enjoy, John.