PE 2.0 Boot Screen

egorss78

I haven't found a solution for the loading files and progress bar yet. Just know they're stored in the bootmgr.

I tried to hack %systemroot%\boot\bootmgr.exe using resource hacker appliaction and modified string into this resource file (bootmgr.xsl), but it won't affect, even I got image file for bootmgr (bootmgr.exe.mui), and replace it, still it wont get proper image to replace, I am not sure that I was replacing right image and proper text.

thx

The bootmgr file you should be trying to modify is ISO\bootmgr, not the one from the WIM. What resource editor are you using? I still think you are going to run into the checksum issue.

zorphnog,

I am using resource hacker (reshacker.exe ), that freely available on net. using this editor I can not edit ISO\bootmgr file, it says "this is not win32 executable file", I have to go for another editor, could you please suggest?, but still what about check sum? I have got some link to calculate checksum but its complex to do so.

steps to calculate this checksum I got is,

1> Read whole file word by word,

2> add all word with carry forward,

3> split this 32 bit into two 16 bit.

4> add two 16 bit w/o carry.

you will get checksum.

p4ntb0y,

I tried even this also,

Steps i had performed for it is,

1> open bootmgr.exe.mui using reshacker.exe.

2> open specific resource file bootmgr.xsl and save this resource file as binary.

3> open saved resource file and edit string "Windows is loading files..."

4> replace resource binary that modified with reshacker.exe opened resource file.

5> you will have modified resource binay into bootmgr.exe.mui

6> unmount and commit Wim image,create ISO image, It wont affect this text, when I boot with this ISO image.

I modified almost all mui file \mount\Windows\Boot\PXE\en-US\bootmgr.exe.mui, \mount\Windows\Boot\PCAT,\mount\Windows\System32\RemInst\boot\x86\en-US also.

Thanks bot of you guys.

Edited by Rakesh Baldha

sounds to me you have nearly done it.

How does the bootmgr.exe.mui get picked over the normal one?

I modified all bootmgr.exe.mui depending upon language en-US, that I got into my ISO folder, but it still not changed text. then after I did peimg /lang=en-us on our mounted image.Is there any way to change resource files (bootmgr.exe.mui) in one shot? thanks for your replies.

I don't know. I tried messing around with the mui file as well, but have not been able to get the regular bootmgr to check for it. I think I'm going to try to mess around with the language packs to see how the boot file is incorporated. My fear is that en-US might be the default.

I found some white papers about hacking the bootmgr a while back called VBootKit. It went into detail about the checksum, but I was never able to find where the checksum is stored in the header.

I found a solution for replacing the "Windows is loading files..." text. It involves modifying and adding a bootmgr.exe.mui file. I'm still working out some of the kinks, but I'll post the full instructions soon (probably tomorrow).

Until then, here's a few teaser shots.

post-105938-1189111950_thumb.jpg

post-105938-1189111961_thumb.jpg

I found a solution for replacing the "Windows is loading files..." text. It involves modifying and adding a bootmgr.exe.mui file. I'm still working out some of the kinks, but I'll post the full instructions soon (probably tomorrow).

Until then, here's a few teaser shots.

post-105938-1189111950_thumb.jpg

post-105938-1189111961_thumb.jpg

Could you please tell me which image you have modified?

Instructions for modifying the "Windows is loading files..." text

Tools needed:

PE CheckSum: Available at
(sign up required).

A hex editor: I'd suggest

Procedures

1. Make a directory called en-US in your ISO\boot directory. (en-US is the default. If you use a different locale then you will need to create a folder corresponding to your specific locale. If you are not sure what your locale is for the bootmgr, run this command on your bcd: bcdedit /store %pebuildingdir%\ISO\boot\bcd /enum. Look for the "locale" value located under the {bootmgr} settings.)
  2. Locate the bootmgr.exe.mui file located in your PE image under %imageroot%\Windows\Boot\PCAT\en-US and copy it to your ISO\boot\en-US directory.
  3. Open the ISO\boot\en-US\bootmgr.exe.mui file in your hex editor and go to block 0x0000F050 and edit the "Windows is loading files..." section.
    post-105938-1189172206_thumb.jpg
    IMPORTANT: When editing this section you MUST leave a "dot" between every letter. The "dot" is not a period ".", but rather a 0x00 word. When editing this file, the total size of the file CANNOT differ from the original size of the file. Therfore, replaced text must fit into the original space (cannot exceed 27 characters).
    post-105938-1189172227_thumb.jpg
    Save and close the bootmgr.exe.mui file.
  4. Open the PE CheckSum tool and browse to your ISO\boot\en-US\bootmgr.exe.mui file. Click the Retrieve button.
    post-105938-1189172456_thumb.jpg
    The "Existing" and "Calculated" values should be different. Copy the "Calculated" value to the "New value" text box and click the write button.
    post-105938-1189172550_thumb.jpg
    The "Existing" value should now match the "Calculated" value. Exit the PE CheckSum tool.
  5. Create your iso image as you normally would and your PE image will now load with your custom text.
    post-105938-1189173341_thumb.jpg

Edited by zorphnog

Hi Zorphnog,

Great! I am also done. Thanks....

But I did it in another way, your way is also helpful to me.

Steps

1> Make folder ISO\boot\en-US and copy image bootmgr.exe.mui into it from %imageroot%\Windows\Boot\PCAT\en-US.

2> Modified this resource by resource hacker.( freely available on internet ).

3> Done we will get modified text screen.

Thanks really good work you have done for me, thank you very much!