PE 2.0 Boot Screen

egorss78

I remember reading about this somewhere. Its just a resource file that you have to hack. I'll see if I can track it down again.

Found a bunch of information on doing it for PE 2005 and just plain Vista. But nothing on Vista PE, figure there has to be a way to do it.

Ok. I've got it to work by replacing the green bars with a picture (no animation).

1. Download and install Vista Boot Logo Generator.

2. Run the generator and add a 800x600 24-bit BMP and 1024x768 24-bit BMP.

3. Save the file as winload.exe.mui.

4. Copy and replace the winload.exe.mui file in the \Windows\System32\Boot\en-US directory of your boot image with the new one.

xcopy /y c:\peimage\winload.exe.mui c:\peimage\mount\Windows\System32\Boot\en-US

5. Capture or unmount your image to ISO\sources\boot.wim

6. Disable the gui option of your bcd entry for WinPE.

bcdedit /store c:\peimage\ISO\boot\bcd /set {default} quietboot yes

Now the green bars will be replaced with your picture!

I must give credit where credit is due, I modified the instructions from this website to work for PE:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vis...-windows-vista/

Edited by zorphnog

Umm...a screenshot of the image I use? There isn't really anything to show. After the "Windows is loading files..." screen is finished, the image you choose displays until the desktop is loaded.

I'll look into posting a video once I get back to the office.

• 3 weeks later...
Any one know how to edit the:

"Windows is loading files..."

You could do it under WinPE v1.6 and before, but I've had no luck with v2.0

And zorphnog, good working putting that together.

Just thought I'd give you guys an update.

I found out where the "Windows is loading files..." is stored in the bootmgr file. Only problem is that when I try to change it I get this error: "The file is possibly corrupt. The file header checksum does not match the computed checksum." So it seems that this file is uneditable unless I can figure out where the checksum is stored and how to compute a new one with my own message. However, the area where the loading message is stored seems to be part of an xml file, so I'm thinking there may be a way to compile your own bootmgr with a custom xml file.

Basically I've only ran into more brick walls, but I'll still hack around with it in my spare time (if there is such a thing).

Edit: Finally hit 2^8 posts lol.

Edited by zorphnog

Just thought I'd give you guys an update.

I found out where the "Windows is loading files..." is stored in the bootmgr file. Only problem is that when I try to change it I get this error: "The file is possibly corrupt. The file header checksum does not match the computed checksum." So it seems that this file is uneditable unless I can figure out where the checksum is stored and how to compute a new one with my own message. However, the area where the loading message is stored seems to be part of an xml file, so I'm thinking there may be a way to compile your own bootmgr with a custom xml file.

Basically I've only ran into more brick walls, but I'll still hack around with it in my spare time (if there is such a thing).

Edit: Finally hit 2^8 posts lol.

I've run into this before. You need something called ModifyPE

http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/view/web/64/

Let me know if you get it working! Thanks for the research by the way!

I don't think ModifyPE is for PE 2.0 files, since the app was made in 1999. It doesn't work for the bootmgr file. I found some articles on hacking the bootmgr checksum, but it gets pretty complicated. Basically you just need to reverse two of the jmp statements where it calculates the checksum. Its just a matter of finding them. I'll let you know if I ever get anything working.

Just for fun though, here's the XML I was able to extract from bootmgr. You'll notice the text for "Windows is loading files..." on line 760.

bootmgr_xml.txt

• 2 weeks later...

I am also looking for this change. could you please help me on this.

we can do it on WinPE 1.0, but its different into WinPE 2.0.

Thanks.

Ok. I've got it to work by replacing the green bars with a picture (no animation).

1. Download and install Vista Boot Logo Generator.

2. Run the generator and add a 800x600 24-bit BMP and 1024x768 24-bit BMP.

3. Save the file as winload.exe.mui.

4. Copy and replace the winload.exe.mui file in the \Windows\System32\Boot\en-US directory of your boot image with the new one.

xcopy /y c:\peimage\winload.exe.mui c:\peimage\mount\Windows\System32\Boot\en-US

5. Capture or unmount your image to ISO\sources\boot.wim

6. Disable the gui option of your bcd entry for WinPE.

bcdedit /store c:\peimage\ISO\boot\bcd /set {default} quietboot yes

Now the green bars will be replaced with your picture!

I must give credit where credit is due, I modified the instructions from this website to work for PE:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vis...-windows-vista/

Great! Thanks zorphnog,

Its done, great help,

still i am running into another prob, can you please help me on it?

problem: when we boot WinPE 2.0 it shows "Windows is loading files..." and progress bar, I want to change text and progress bar, any pointers?

Thanks,