[Tutorial] Clean Windows Vista Install - No Activation needed

neo

So I went around to each machine and ran activation_backup.exe I then transfered the two files created to the Server too the respective subfolders of //Server/Activation named LABPC01, LABPC02, etc...

Also, I saved the Product key from the sticker on the outside of the machine (which is different from that captured by activation_backup.exe) to a text file called 'sticker_key.txt'

I'm thinking (actually hoping) that maybe in my script I can do an 'xcopy' of the appropriate folder from the server to the local harddrive of the machine and run the 'activation_restore.exe' from within that folder on the local drive. I don't know though if I'll be able to xcopy from the server in post sysprep mode. I'm guessing I'll have permissions issues or something or that the network will not be accessible yet.

So I went around to each machine and ran activation_backup.exe I then transfered the two files created to the Server too the respective subfolders of //Server/Activation named LABPC01, LABPC02, etc...

Also, I saved the Product key from the sticker on the outside of the machine (which is different from that captured by activation_backup.exe) to a text file called 'sticker_key.txt'

I'm thinking (actually hoping) that maybe in my script I can do an 'xcopy' of the appropriate folder from the server to the local harddrive of the machine and run the 'activation_restore.exe' from within that folder on the local drive. I don't know though if I'll be able to xcopy from the server in post sysprep mode. I'm guessing I'll have permissions issues or something or that the network will not be accessible yet.

I would guess that if you don't have network access at that point, then none of the proposed methods above would work, including if there was a way to tell activation_restore where to look for the files?

• 2 weeks later...

I got my script working. Of course there was prep work like obtaining the MAC ID for each machine as well as backing up the activation data from each machine to separate folders, but this will make it much easier for future deployments that I will be testing this next week.

See the thread Here for more info...

Special thanks to orev for the wonderful backup/restore application and whoever helped me 3 years ago or so with the original portion of the script!

Edited by Thinkster

I got my script working. Of course there was prep work like obtaining the MAC ID for each machine as well as backing up the activation data from each machine to separate folders, but this will make it much easier for future deployments that I will be testing this next week.

See the thread Here for more info...

Special thanks to orev for the wonderful backup/restore application and whoever helped me 3 years ago or so with the original portion of the script!

Glad to hear that it's working for you. I think you've put together something really cool.

• 3 months later...
I think that non-OEM editions work too? I hope so. I dont like to make phone calls :(

No, it only works with OEM editions that are pre-installed by the OEM. If you have a retail version, you should be able to activate online without having to make the phone call.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

sorry I'm late in this thread, but I've been an ABR user for years now, so I'm just wondering if the first post should be edited out of respect for Brian, the creator of ABR. Also, so that user always get the latest ABR version.

ABR homepage says:

"Please do not link directly to this file. If you like this utility and want to tell people about it, please link to this web site, and not directly to the exe/zip files."

thanks!

sorry I'm late in this thread, but I've been an ABR user for years now, so I'm just wondering if the first post should be edited out of respect for Brian, the creator of ABR. Also, so that user always get the latest ABR version.

ABR homepage says:

"Please do not link directly to this file. If you like this utility and want to tell people about it, please link to this web site, and not directly to the exe/zip files."

thanks!

Thanks glentium. Also, there have been newer versions of ABR released since what is in the OP. Anyone who follows that link will get a file that contains nothing but a message that the link is out of date.

• 5 months later...
Mine is Vista retail version, and this method did not work. Anyway I'm using Acronis True Image for backup my Vista, and something goes wrong, I can backup my whole vista.

ABR is not meant to work with Retail versions, so you are seeing the expected behavior. As you have found, Trueimage is a good method to backup as whole Vista install without dealing with activation.