HFSLIP: Alternate input folders

Crash&Burn

• 2 weeks later...

Actually after doing some WinXP and Win2K slipstreams - that created completely unusable disks...I nailed the problem down to the Junctioned "Source" directory.

For some reason HFSLIP wont copy the base files from a junction'ed source to sourcess.

@Tomcat76

If I create this structure:

DIR	SUBDIR1  SUBDIR2	others files/SUBDIR

HFSLIP
HFSLIP_EHM my personal prog/bin/replace
FIX
HFSVCPACK
HFSVCPACK_SW
HFEXPERT
HFGUIRUNONCE
HFSLIP_JFAM wife personal prog/bin/replace
FIX
HFSVCPACK
HFSVCPACK_SW
HFEXPERT
HFGUIRUNONCE
FDVFILES
HF
HFCABS
HFGUIRUNONCE
HFSVCPACK
HFSVCPACK_SW1
HFSVCPACK_SW2
HFTOOLS hfanswer.ini ALTDIR1=HFSLIP_EHM;ALTDIR2=HFSLIP_JFAM
SOURCE source OS - XP/2k/2k3
SOURCESS final OS ( my or wife)
hfslip-70731a.cmd

And at question "I HAVE READ THE INSTRUCTIONS" I answer :

ALTDIR1 If I need to create a CD for me with my personal prog/bin/replace

ALTDIR2 If I need to create a CD for my wife with your personal prog/bin/replace

The modified OS will be created at SOURCESS independent of answer, ever?

0d

That's more or less right.

The SOURCESS folder will be overwritten so if you want to keep the previous SOURCESS folder you need to back it up or rename it first.

I see that I forgot to update the instructions page when HFSLIP was updated to use HFSVCPACK_SW1 and HFSVCPACK_SW2 instead of HFSVCPACK_SW. You need to change that in the alternate location as well.

What do you mean "junctioned"? The SOURCE folder should and can only contain the original CD source.
junction is the equivalent of a linux softlink, similiar to mounting a folder to a drive letter, except you just create a junction/directory that points to another directory.

HFSLIP is the first program I've seen that chokes on a junction.

so I have the following:

K:\HFSLIP_2K
K:\HFSLIP_XP
K:\HFSLIP_XP_SOURCE
K:\HFSLIP_XP_WMP11

and

K:\HFSLIP_XP\SOURCE	--->  K:\HFSLIP_XP_SOURCE
K:\HFSLIP_XP\HF\WMP11 ---> K:\HFSLIP_XP_WMP11

not important per se, but definitely odd.

Hi, while we are on the Alternate input folders subject, is use the following HFSLIP structure :

A root hfslip folder.

3 sources folder (XP PRO, XP HOME, XP MCE)

and for each source i use different files in HFSVCPACK, HFGUIRUNONCE, FIX, HFCABS, and different parameter in HFANSWER.INI (basicly ISONAME and ISOTITLE and INSTALLRC)

I actually use to run a batch file that :

rename my source folder (for example "XP_PRO") to "SOURCE",

modifies the content of HFANSWER.INI.

and run HFSLIP usign the altdir feature

It will be great if the Alternate input folders fonction in hfslip authorize to use different sources, HFCLEANUP, and hfanwer.ini as it already authorize FIX, HFSVCPACK, HFSVCPACK_SW, HFEXPERT and HFGUIRUNONCE folders.

If you add for example a "Source=" parameter in HFANSWER.ini and permit hfslip to read an ALTDIR1\HFANSWEROVVERIDE.INI if "ALTDIR1" is typed at the prompt this can allow hflsip to read/override defaut HFANSWER.ini parameter for that special ALTDIR folder.

At the prompt we can so type ALDIR1 SOURCE1 for example to use thoses source and alt folders.

let me know if you wan me to test anything :whistle: and thanks again for that great script !

I was familiar with the term "softlink" but didn't know "junction" could refer to the same thing as well.

Have you used DOS-based tools before that can handle junctions?

Junction from SysInternals - is used from the command line. And while running in DOS(command prompt) you can traverse junctions just like a normal directory. As a quick test, I did the following:
cd D:\programs
junction !!TEST D:\programs\$Desktop

Create a TEST.bat file; run from command line:

Microsoft Windows 2000 [Version 5.00.2195]
(C) Copyright 1985-2000 Microsoft Corp.
D:\Programs>!!test.bat
D:\Programs>copy D:\Programs\!!TEST\TransparentD.exe D:\programs
1 file(s) copied.
D:\Programs>

Which copies, D:\programs\$Desktop\TransparentD.exe to D:\programs

Anyways, I just find it odd as I said, that HFSLIP doesn't copy any of the files from the junction'ed directory - it just applies the slipstream into SOURCESS.

As mentioned in another post here, the suggestion to add the alternate source dir to the .ini file would be the best/easiest solution.