WSrv2k3 R2 SP2 Unattended.txt file

Hi All

Successfully integrated SP2 on Windows Server 2003 shared installation folder. Copied the R2 disk (entire contents) into the same folder. Everything works perfectly as it is supposed to according to M$ documention. One thing I cannot seem to solve myself is, that after the server installs perfectly (unattended.txt) and the R2 installation dialog box pops up, I have to press OK before the actual installation of R2 can proceed. In my unattended.txt file, I have NO lines in the [GuiRunOnce] section in regard to installation of R2. This seems not necessary, as the R2 installation starts automatically after installing the Server normally. I guess this has something to do with the SP2 being integrated, and that I am using the R2 key in my Unattended.txt file. At present, everything installs, except R2 until I press the dialog box. After I click the dialog box, the installation completes.

Is it in any way possible to make that dialog box go away and silently install R2 together with everything else?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

What exactly do you mean by the "ident" files? I copied the entire CD02 into the shared folder, so if such files exist, they should already be in the folder I guess?

Structure of the folder looks like this:

$OEM$

ADMIN

CMPNENTS

DOCS

I386

PRINTERS

SUPPORT

VALUEADD

AUTORUN.INF

R2AUTO.EXE

R2README.HTM

READ1ST.HTM

RELNOTES.HTM

SETUP.EXE

SETUPSTANDARD.HTM

SLIPSTREAM.INF

WIN51

WIN51IS

WIN51IS.SP1

WIN51IS.SP2

WIN52IS.R2

The CMPNENTS folder looks like this:

CMPNENTS\R2

As mentioned in my initial post, all installation commenses perfectly, except after installation, a window popup. I then have to click NEXT, accept the EULA of the R2 installation and then click NEXT again. Then R2 completes, and I have to click FINISH. Its that exact dialogue window/box and those 4 clicks I would very much like to get rid off. I just wonder if there is a way for that? Thanks for your time.

Edited by Burke

I have this successfully working. If you look in the R2 disk, there is a ref.chm (or something) that describes how you have to do it. I use a RunOnceEx method...

@ECHO OFF 

SET TAGFILE=\OEM
FOR %%i in (c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z) DO IF EXIST "%%i:%TAGFILE%" set CDDRIVE=%%i:

SET KEY=HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx

REG ADD %KEY% /V TITLE /D "Configuring Your System" /f

IF NOT EXIST "%CDDRIVE%\CMPNENTS\R2" GOTO ELSE

REG ADD %KEY%10 /VE /D "Installing R2..." /f
REG ADD %KEY%10 /V 1 /D "%CDDRIVE%\cmpnents\r2\setup2.exe /q /a" /f

This happened to me with Win2k as well. You can remove the dialog boxes by these commands (unattended.txt or winnt.sif)

[GuiUnattended]
OemSkipWelcome=1
OEMSkipRegional=1

OEMSkipWelcome=1 kills off the innitial press button to start, the OEMSkipRegional kills off the one where ye change keyboard.

JuMz,

I tried using your method and it didn't work. I believe I may have placed the RunOnceEx.cmd in the wrong place or it may be that I also use a batch job in front of the RunonceEx. Could you go into a little more detail as to how you do yours?

I have this successfully working. If you look in the R2 disk, there is a ref.chm (or something) that describes how you have to do it. I use a RunOnceEx method...

@ECHO OFF 

SET TAGFILE=\OEM
FOR %%i in (c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z) DO IF EXIST "%%i:%TAGFILE%" set CDDRIVE=%%i:

IF NOT EXIST "%CDDRIVE%\CMPNENTS\R2" GOTO ELSE

REG ADD %KEY%10 /VE /D "Installing R2..." /f

Inside your $OEM$ folder (which should be on the root of the CD) you should have a file called CMDLINES.txt. In this file, you should have at least the following:

[COMMANDS]
"RunOnceEx.cmd"

You should also keep the RunOnceEx.cmd in this folder.

In your case, I would keep the CMPNENTS directory (that contains the R2 Package) on the ROOT of the CD and change the RunOnceEx to:

@ECHO OFF 

SET TAGFILE=\CMPNENTS

REG ADD %KEY%10 /VE /D "Installing R2" /f

Let me know how that works out for you...

Edited by JuMz

JuMz,

Thanks for the response, but unfortunately it did not work. I still think it may be the way i had the batch files set up. My File structure on CD winnt.sif, cmdlines.txt, batch.cmd and RunOnceEx.cmd file below. My install works perfectly. there are no errors but when I log in the first time it is requesting the second disc. I need to stop that from running on startup and i think i can set up the batch then. BTW I am using a W2k3 Volume disc that SP2 already integrated.

$OEM$

ADMIN

CMPNENTS

DOCS

I386

AUTORUN.INF

Microsoft Corporation.img

R2AUTO.EXE

R2README.HTM

READ1ST.HTM

RELNOTES.HTM

SETUP.EXE

SETUPSTANDARD.HTM

SLIPSTREAM.INF

WIN51

WIN51IS

WIN51IS.SP2

WIN52IS.R2

;SetupMgrTag

[Data]

AutoPartition=1

MsDosInitiated="0"

UnattendedInstall="Yes"

[unattended]

UnattendMode=FullUnattended

OemSkipEula=Yes

OemPreinstall=Yes

UnattendSwitch=Yes

Hibernation = No

TargetPath=\WINDOWS

Repartition=No

FileSystem=*

[GuiUnattended]

AdminPassword="admin"

EncryptedAdminPassword=NO

OEMSkipRegional=1

TimeZone=35

OemSkipWelcome=1

[userData]

ProductKey=XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

FullName="2K3 R2 Server"

OrgName=""

ComputerName=2k3R2Server

[TapiLocation]

CountryCode=1

Dialing=Tone

AreaCode=631

[branding]

BrandIEUsingUnattended=Yes

Home_Page=http://www.google.com

[Proxy]

Proxy_Enable=0

Use_Same_Proxy=1

[LicenseFilePrintData]

AutoMode=PerSeat

[identification]

JoinWorkgroup=WORKGROUP

[Networking]

InstallDefaultComponents=Yes

[Display]

BitsPerPel=16

Xresolution=1024

YResolution=768

Vrefresh=70

[FavoritesEx]

Title1="Google.url"

URL1="http://www.google.com"

[WindowsFirewall]

Profiles = WindowsFirewall.TurnOffFirewall

[WindowsFirewall.TurnOffFirewall]

Mode = 0

[shell]

DefaultStartPanelOff=Yes

DefaultThemesOff=Yes

[Components]

indexsrv_system=off

IEHardenUser=off

IEHardenAdmin=off

[TerminalServices]

AllowConnections = 1

command.txt file

[COMMANDS]

"REGEDIT /S registry.reg"

"batch.cmd"

"RunOnceEx.cmd"

batch.cmd file

CLS

@echo off

TITLE Windows 2003 SP2 R2 - Unattended Installation

ECHO.

ECHO Installing Symantec Av Corp 10

ECHO Please wait...

start /wait %systemdrive%\install\SAV\sav10.msi /qb RUNLIVEUPDATE=0 REBOOT=REALLYSUPPRESS

ECHO.

ECHO Installing Winzip 8.1

ECHO Please wait...

start /wait %systemdrive%\WinZip\WINZIP32.EXE /noqp /autoinstall

@ECHO OFF

for %%i in (D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z) do if exist %%i:\WIN51 SET cdrom=%%i:

robocopy %CDROM%\I386 /MIR /V %SystemDrive%\I386

reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup" /v "Installation Sources" /t REG_MULTI_SZ /d "%SystemDrive%\I386" /f

reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup" /v SourcePath /d %SystemDrive% /f

reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup" /v ServicePackSourcePath /d %SystemDrive% /f

reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion" /v SourcePath /d %SystemDrive%\I386 /f

ECHO.

ECHO Restarting the PC in 1 minute...

shutdown.exe -r -f -t 60 -c "Windows 2003 Server will now restart in 1 minute, this will give

enough time for the shortcuts to update and for the shell to fully load before its ready to restart!"

ECHO.

ECHO Deleting Temp Installation Files...

RD /S /Q %systemdrive%\install

EXIT

RunOnceEx.cmd file

@ECHO OFF

SET TAGFILE=\CMPNENTS

REG ADD %KEY%10 /VE /D "Installing R2" /f

post-60728-1186675457_thumb.jpg

Does the RunOnceEx window even come up @ all? Can I see a screenshot of what is inside the $OEM$ folder? At the VERY LEAST, you should have the RunOnceEx window coming up saying "Configuring Your System"...If that doesn't even come up then there is a problem in you CMDLINES.txt file (You wrote commands.txt in your post but I hope you meant cmdlines.txt )

OK, should I put the exit in the RunonceEx or just leave it as is? And yes the file is cmdlines.txt...

I attached screenshot or $oem$ also.

Hm, I think I just saw something that may fix this...

REMOVE the EXIT at the end of batch.cmd

post-60728-1186679213_thumb.jpg

OK, should I put the exit in the RunonceEx or just leave it as is?

Just leave it as it is. You don't need any 'EXIT' anywhere. The window will automatically close and exit once it executes everything under [COMMANDS]. By having EXIT in batch.cmd, it forced the command window to close BEFORE executing RunOnceEx.cmd

JuMz,

No go. I am thinking back to beginning of this thread that I need to suppress the request for the second CD. Could the Autorun.inf be casuing and issue. When i copied it over I didn't overwrite the file from disc 1.

[AutoRun]

open=setup.exe

icon=setup.exe,0

Should it be the one off of the second disc? BTW I tried running just the RunOnceEx.cmd off of the desktop after it was loaded and it did not work.

OK, should I put the exit in the RunonceEx or just leave it as is?

Just leave it as it is. You don't need any 'EXIT' anywhere. The window will automatically close and exit once it executes everything under [COMMANDS]. By having EXIT in batch.cmd, it forced the command window to close BEFORE executing RunOnceEx.cmd

JuMz,

No go. I am thinking back to beginning of this thread that I need to suppress the request for the second CD. Could the Autorun.inf be casuing and issue. When i copied it over I didn't overwrite the file from disc 1.

[AutoRun]

open=setup.exe

icon=setup.exe,0

Should it be the one off of the second disc? BTW I tried running just the RunOnceEx.cmd off of the desktop after it was loaded and it did not work.

It didn't work when you ran it off the desktop? i.e. You have the DVD in the drive, ran RunOnceEx from the desktop. Then logged and logged out (or rebooted and logged in) and nothing happend? Hmm...

I reloaded again last night and tried it again and it was the same result. The actual load of W2K3 Server STD goes fine but when I log in first time it prompts for the second disc. My load is all on one CD not DVD. Also I checked the registry after the fresh load and I see the runonceex and the runonceex10 keys and they have the same info as the runonceex batch file. The cd is still in the drive btw. I am thinking of trying to robocopy the cmpnents folder and then running a batch off of that. I just need to know what is bringing up the prompt for the second disc.