Explorer actions takes ages when not connected to company network

MadBoy

I must say i feel a bit stupid as for knowledge i have i would expect to fix this issue but it seems i can't find a reason why when my computer isnt connected to company network right clicking on anything on desktop, in documents or basically anywhere thru Explorer (my computer etc) it takes about 30 seconds to show menu with actions. Also when i double click something it takes 30 seconds to start it (even simple jpg, txt file or doc). It's like it's looking for something in the company network before doing the action. WHen doing things thru Total Commander or directly from other apps everything works fine. Just anything thru Explorer takes 30 seconds. It takes 1 second when i am on local company network. Also my computer is Core Duo with 1gb ram so should work just fine.

Anyone have any ideas what to check for/where to check for? Process Explorer/ProcMon doesn't give any answers to this. I have disabled almost all apps / processes and it still happens when not on network. It's preety crazy since after creating simple txt file i have to wait a longer while before i can type anything in it.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks!

I would suggest Downloading PortReporter and PRParser from technet.

PortReporter installs as a service. when started it logs detailed activity about tcpip connections and ports.

Install, start the service, fire IE when not connected to your network. Open another web page. Close IE, then stop the service.

Next, fire the PRParser and see what was 'accessed'

The other thing I would try is 'HiJackThis.exe' to look for registry entries, bho's etc.

Let me know if that works for you.

The Nets Edge

One other thing just occurred to me. When opening 'my computer' I had issue where I had to wait like 30seconds to a minute before it would populate. The solution was to stop and disable the "Windows Image Acquisition" service. No idea why it worked, but it did.

go figure.

The Nets Edge

Thanks for help however i have used ProcMon one more time and turned out that every time you press right click on a file system goes thru HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\ and for each application there it checks HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\<every app>\shell\edit\command.

Now in my case it stopped on ghost explorer which i started one time from microsoft share here at company so every time i wasn't on company network windows was waiting for share 30 seconds to get information that share is unavailable. Now after i removed ghost.exp entry from HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\ windows works like a charm again!

Thanks for many help :)

nightshift: thanks but i already solved the problem. turned out to be context menu asking for \\server\path_to_app which wasn't available for it

Thanks anyway again!