Does $OEM$ folders work in vista as in XP..?

Whats the best way to do this now then..?

i want to execute some registry settings at sat T-12 as with the old cmdlines.txt in XP. Where is best to place the reg file on the CD & how best to execute it from unattended.xml?

all help greatly apreciated.

Hi,

The OEM approach of Vista is somewhat diffrent then XP/2003. Covering the whole thing seems huge... I recommend that you download the WAIK from MS which is free of charge. The WAIK (Windows Automated Installation Kit) cotains all the relevant .chm (help files) for automatting the installation of Vista. It also contains the WSIM (Windows System Image Manager) which is the application that will build and let you configure the .xml file that is the unattend file(s) for your Vista installation. This application also will allow you to configure the usage of $OEM$ folders, or you can use the Vista recommended approach of "DataImages".....

Finally WAIK also contains the WinPE 2.0, free of charge.....

OEMs can still be used but without that configsetroot. ditched that long ago.

Check out Firegeier guide or either my VistaUA application and decide what or how you want to do it.

To answer your ? Not all of the folders are used anymore but yes some can still be used, people need to read the chms. $oems$ are placed in the sources folder of the dvd image like some of the actual OEMs place it there like Dell

Ive ditch the Distribution shares. While msfn has been down all morning i found something similar to this (below) on another site but with %AppsRoot% name instead. seems to be working ok apart from some of my registry keys dont seem to be applying.

What is the best phase to apply HKLM registry settings & what stage is best to Apply HKCU resgistry settings..? i use to aplly a couple of HKCU keys at T-12 on XP before any local accounts are created so it applied it to the default user profile. Cant seem to get the same effect on vista at the moment.

@ECHO OFF

SET DriversRoot=NULL

:SearchDriversRoot

FOR %%i IN (C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z) DO IF EXIST %%i:\DriversRoot.txt SET DriversRoot=%%i:\

IF NOT "%DriversRoot%"=="NULL" GOTO StartSetup

GOTO SearchDriversRoot

RunSynchronous commands run in the system context in the specialize pass.

Which means registry settings should be HKLM

RunSynchronous commands run in the user context in the auditUser configuration pass

Which means registry settings should be HKCU

Although ive recently added that to my App those can be a bit complicated

Hello chiners!

i use to aplly a couple of HKCU keys at T-12 on XP before any local accounts are created so it applied it to the default user profile. Cant seem to get the same effect on vista at the moment.

It's not that easy for Vista unfortunatly. You need to do the steps described here, to copy the HKCU tweaks over to the DefaultUser.

Note:

If you've problems to get it worked, than please read the workaround here and let me know!

And like maxXP said, auditUser pass is the right pass to apply HKCU tweaks. The only thing you have to know is, that they are just setted for the User you logged on in auditSystem pass.

BTW, you can apply HKLM tweaks during auditUser pass, too. But if you need the tweaks present for the Vista setup already - like disabling UAC during setup for example - than you've to apply these kind of tweaks during specialize pass.

Final Note:

If you should have problems to get the whole AppsRoot thing to work, than pleas read here.

Regards,

Martin